|Virginia State Senate, District 16|
|August 2013 - Present|
|January 11, 2016|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||August 6, 2013|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Virginia House of Delegates|
|2002 - August 2013|
|Place of birth||Montgomery, AL|
Cosgrove served in the Virginia House of Delegates, representing District 78 from 2002 to August 2013.
In the 2012-2013 session, Cosgrove served on the following committees:
In the 2010-2011 session, Cosgrove served on the following committees:
- Privileges and Elections, Vice Chair
- Elections Subcommittee, Chair
- Subcommittee #1, Chair
- General Laws
- Professions/Occupations and Administrative Process Subcommittee, Chair
- Housing Subcommittee
- ABC/Gaming Subcommittee
- Science and Technology
- Subcommittee #1
- HB 1703 Indoor Clean Air Act; prohibits smoking in certain public buildings, restaurants, etc., exceptions.
- HB 1876 Wireless telecommunications devices; prohibits use of text messaging while driving certain vehicle.
- HB 1877 Absentee voting; firefighters and other first responders are entitled thereto.
Holmes won election in the special election for Virginia State Senate District 56. The seat was vacant following Harry Blevins (R) retirement on August 5. Cosgrove ran upposed after his opponent, Kerry B. Holmes (D), withdrew prior to the special election that took place on August 6.
Cosgrove ran for re-election in the 2013 election for Virginia House of Delegates District 78. Cosgrove ran unopposed in the June 11th Republican Primary. As he won a special election on August 6 for the Senate seat of Harry Blevins (R), his house seat will be filled in the general election that takes place on November 5, 2013.
In 2009, Cosgrove was re-elected to the Virginia House of Delegates. 
|Virginia House of Delegates General Election, District 78 (2009)|
|John Cosgrove (R)||17,661|
Cosgrove's official website states that he "has focused his efforts on improving public safety, education, transportation and protecting the Chesapeake Bay, as well as our family values."
In 2011, Cosgrove received $164,256 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Virginia House of Delegates 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Cosgrove's campaign in 2011|
|Decker Iii, Peter G||$5,000|
|Virginia Automobile Dealers Assoc||$4,650|
|American Electric Power||$3,800|
|Virginia Resort Development PAC||$3,500|
|Total Raised in 2011||$164,256|
The top 5 donors to Cosgrove's 2009 campaign:
|Virginia Wine Wholesalers Association||$3,971|
|Virginia Automobile and Truck Dealers Association||$3,800|
|Virginia Beer Wholesalers Association||$3,750|
|Virginia Bankers Association||$3,000|
Cosgrove and his wife, Sue, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Cosgrove + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=John+Cosgrove+Virginia+House&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=John Cosgrove News Feed
- Sen. Cosgrove's website
- Virginia House of Delegates - Rep. Cosgrove
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions:2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2001
- Delegate John Cosgrove Facebook profile
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Richmond Sunlight profile
- Sorensen Institute profile
- Project Vote Smart - Delegate Cosgrove
- Mitt Romney for President, "Mitt Romney Announces Virginia Leadership Team," December 29, 2011
- Bill Tracking - Legislation as Chief Patron
- washingtonpost.com, "Special election set Aug. 6 for seat being vacated by Chesapeake state senator," April 18, 2013
- sbe.virginia.gov, "List of Candidates," accessed June 20, 2013
- thestate.com, "Cosgrove wins Va. Senate seat in special election," August 6, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections - November 2011 General Election Official Results
- Virginia House of Delegates 2009 General Election Results
- John Cosgrove About John
- Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- Follow the Money - 2009 Campaign Contributions
Harry Blevins (R)
|Virginia Senate District 14
| Succeeded by|
|Virginia House of Delegates District 78
| Succeeded by|