|Illinois State Senate District 6|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
January 12, 2013
Cullerton graduated with his Bachelor's Degree in 1970 and Law Degree in 1974 from Loyola-Chicago.
Cullerton is a full-time Senator and a former Public Defender in Cook County.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Cullerton has been appointed to these committees:
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate, Member
- Executive Committee, Illinois State Senate, Member
- Government Reform, Co-Chair
- Subcommittee on Election Law, Member
- Subcommittee on State Government Operations, Member
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Cullerton served on these committees:
Cullerton on tax hike and pension cap
The Illinois State Senate passed a plan for a two point income tax hike, from 3 percent to 5 percent. At the start of the 2011 session, Quinn met with Democratic leaders to speak about passing tax hike legislation in the House. Gov. Pat Quinn is pulling for a hike of at least 1 percent.
Senate President Cullerton said the House is going to have to act first.
"We already passed an income tax out of the Senate," Cullerton said. "So they're talking about getting the vote to pass an income tax out of the House."
House Republicans hesitate to support any tax increase without concessions from Quinn and legislative Democrats.
State Rep Jil Tracy said while there has been talk of Medicaid, workers' comp and education reform, talk isn't going to get many votes.
"I only hope there's been a lot of real reform talked about that's going to be shown in legislation," she said. "I'm not sure."
Tracy said Democrats only want GOP votes as a shield against angry voters.
|Illinois State Senate, District 6 (2008)|
|John Cullerton (D)||73,323|
|Jay Valko (R)||21,320|
In 2008, Cullerton collected $1,133,320 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to his campaign.
|Donald R. Levin||$100,000|
|Harrison & Lois Steans||$25,000|
|Citizens for Viverito||$25,000|
|Cooney & Conway||$10,600|
|Chicago Federation of Labor & Industrial Union Council||$10,500|
|Illinois Education Association||$10,000|
|Association of Midwest Public Insurance Adjusters||$10,000|
|Penn National Gaming||$10,000|
|Illinois Federation of Teachers||$8,000|
|Association of Beer Distributors of Illinois||$7,500|
|Illinois Venture Capital Association||$7,348|
|Illinois Credit Union League||$7,300|
|Chicago Automobile Association||$7,000|
|Illinois Bankers Association||$6,000|
Cullerton represents Illinois Senate District 6. District 6 includes in the Northeast and Near East sides of Chicago.
John is married to Pamela Cullerton. They have six children and reside in Chicago, Illinois.
- Sen. Cullerton's website
- Biography from the Illinois General Assembly
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- "Cullerton on Tax Hike," Illinois Statehouse News, January 4, 2011
- "Dem leaders talk tax hike," Illinois Statehouse News, January 4, 2011
- Illinois Senate election results for 2008
- Cullerton Campaign Donors
- "Illinois Chamber of * Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate, Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
|Illinois Senate District 6
| Succeeded by|