John H. Hicks Jr.
|John H. Hicks Jr.|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Board Member, Bedford County Public Schools, District 3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 7, 2017|
Hicks was re-elected in an unopposed race on November 5, 2013.
|Bedford County Public Schools, District 3, 4-year term, 2013|
|Independent||John H. Hicks Jr. Incumbent||99.2%||3,265|
|Source: Bedford County, Virginia, "November 2013 General Election Official Results," accessed December 12, 2013|
Hicks was not endorsed in this campaign.
Hicks reported no contributions or expenditures to the Virginia State Board of Elections.
|Bedford County Public Schools, District 3, 4-year term, 2012|
|Independent||John H. Hicks, Jr.||60.2%||2,979|
|Independent||Eric D. Thompson||39.3%||1,944|
|Source: Bedford County, Virginia, "November 2012 General Election Official Results," accessed October 2, 2013|
What was at stake?
Three seats were up for election on November 5, 2013. Those seats were for Districts 2, 3 and 4 and occupied by Jason W. Johnson, John H. Hicks Jr. and Gary Hostutler, respectively. They were all re-elected in unopposed races.
About the districtBedford County, Virginia. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Bedford County is home to 68,676 residents.
In terms of graduation rate and average household income, Bedford County underperformed in these areas. The graduation rate was 85.6% compared to 86.6% statewide. The average household income was $56,021 compared to $63,302 in the entire state. Conversely, Bedford County had a lower poverty rate of 8.9%, while the poverty rate for Virginia was 10.7%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Hicks + Jr + Bedford + County + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Virginia State Board of Elections "Campaign Finance Reports," accessed December 19, 2013
- Quick Facts Accessed September 18, 2013]
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 18, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.