John Keenan (House of Representatives)
|John Keenan, Jr.|
|Massachusetts House of Representatives, Seventh Essex|
|2005 - present|
|January 7, 2015|
|Years in position||10|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|J.D.||Suffolk University Law School, 1992|
|Date of birth||April 4, 1965|
|Place of birth||Salem, Massachusetts|
Keenan's professional experience includes working as an attorney in private practice since 1997, Solicitor for the City of Salem from 2001 to 2004, Assistant Solicitor from 1996 to 2001, and Assistant District Attorney for Essex County from 1993 to 1994.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Keenan served on the following committees:
|Massachusetts Committee Assignments, 2013|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Keenan served on the following committees:
|Massachusetts Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Telecommunication, Utilities and Energy Joint, Chair|
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Keenan served on the following committees:
|Massachusetts Committee Assignments, 2009|
|• Tourism, Arts and Cultural Development Joint, Chair|
Keenan won re-election in the 2012 election for Massachusetts House of Representatives Sixth Essex District. Kennan was unopposed in the September 6 Democratic primary and was unopposed in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Massachusetts House of Representatives General Election, Seventh Essex District (2010)|
|John Keenan, Jr. (D)||10,533|
On November 4, 2008, Keenan won re-election in the Massachusetts House of Representatives election for the Seventh Essex district.  In this election he raised $108,581; of that total $104,506 (96.2%) was from in state contributions and $4,075 (3.8%) was from out of state contributions.
|Massachusetts House of Representatives - Seventh Essex district|
|John Keenan (D)||14,473|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, Keenan received $112,353 in campaign donations. The largest donors are listed below.
|Massachusetts House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Keenan (House of Representatives)'s campaign in 2010|
|Massachusetts Dental Society||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$112,353|
Keenan raised $108,581 in the 2008 election cycle.
His major contributors are listed below.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance: 2013-2014 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on bills of interest to an organization advocating economically conservative policy.
- Massachusetts League of Environmental Voters: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on environmental issues.
- Associated Industries of Massachusetts: 2011-2012 Legislative Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on bills of interest to an organization of employers.
- Mass Audubon: 2011-2012 Report Card
- Legislators are scored on environmental issues.
- Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group 2011-2012 Public Interest Research Group
- Legislators are scored on votes on issues including health care costs, consumer protection, recycling, transportation and democracy.
Keenan has been Co-President of the Foundation for Salem Public Education, a member of the North Shore Chamber of Commerce, and a board member of the Salem Rotary Club.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term John + Keenan + Massachusetts + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Massachusetts House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Joint Committees
- Massachusetts state legislative districts
- Massachusetts State Legislature
- John Keenan's personal website
- Massachusetts House of Representatives - Rep. John Keenan, Jr.
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- John Keenan on Facebook
- John Keenan on LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Keenan
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "2012 State Primary Results," accessed February 13, 2014
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "Return of Votes - For Massachusetts State Election - November 6, 2012," accessed February 13, 2014
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "Return of Votes - For Massachusetts State Election - November 2, 2010," accessed February 13, 2014
- Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth, "Return of Votes For Massachusetts State Election - November 4, 2008," accessed March 18, 2014
- Follow the Money 2008
- Follow the Money, "Massachusetts 2010 - Candidates," accessed February 13, 2014
- Massachusetts House donor numbers
|Massachusetts House of Representatives Essex 7
| Succeeded by|
State of Massachusetts
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Energy and Environmental Affairs | Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development | Chair of Public Utilities |