|U.S. Senate, Vermont|
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
According to MacGovern's website, his campaign themes included:
- Budget: "...we can't spend our way to prosperity; and we certainly can't do it by making our families shoulder the burden of Washington's reckless spending."
- Social Security: "The solution to this massive and crippling problem will require serious and courageous reforms of Social Security, and other entitlement programs."
MacGovern ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. Senate, representing Vermont. He defeated Brooke Paige in the August 28, 2012, Republican primary. He faced incumbent Bernie Sanders (I), Cris Ericson (United States Marijuana Party), Laurel LaFramboise (VoteKISS), Pete Diamondstone (Liberty Union), and Peter Moss (Peace and Prosperity) in the general election on November 6, 2012.  Sanders won.
- See also: Vermont State Senate elections, 2010
MacGovern ran for the Windsor District Seat in 2010. He ran against Henry Holmes, and Francis Renaud in the Republican primary on August 24, 2010. He faced John Campbell (R), Henry Holmes (R), Francis Renaud (R), John McCormack (D), and Alice Nitka (D) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
Candidates for Congress are required to file up to seven main reports with the Federal Election Commission during the 2012 elections season. Below are MacGovern's reports.
|John MacGovern Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 13, 2012||$0.00||$12,882.28||$(21.00)||$12,667.28|
|July Quarterly||July 18, 2012||$12,667.28||$11,220.00||$(20,152.27)||$3,735.01|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term John + MacGovern + Vermont + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Vermont GOP Charts Moderate Course With Party Election - Vermont Public Radio
- What If It's Not Hillary? Meet the Democrats' Plan B Team for 2016 - Daily Beast
- Iran's moment to re-emerge to the international stage - Baltimore Post-Examiner
- Vt. GOP Opts for New Leader - Valley News
- John Nichols: Rep. Trey Radel won't be joining the half a million Americans ... - Capital Times
- JFK's poetry legislated with LBJ's prose made a better world - Baltimore Post-Examiner
- Voice of the Free Press: For a more effective opposition - BurlingtonFreePress.com
- News Briefs - Valley Advocate
- Family Bid-Ness: After Snagging a No-Bid Contract, Ex-Shumlin Official Offers ... - Seven Days
- Wide-Open Race in 2016 Offers Ocean of Possibilities - National Journal
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 CNN "Vermont Senate Race - 2012 Election Center"
- ↑ John MacGovern for Senate, "On the Issues," Accessed September 12, 2012
- ↑ Official primary candidate list
- ↑ Associated Press primary results
- ↑ Federal Election Commission "Candidate (S2VT00136) Summary Reports - 2011-2012 Cycle," Accessed July 13, 2012
- ↑ Federal Election Commission "MacGovern for US Senate April Quarterly," Accessed July 13, 2012
- ↑ Federal Election Commission "MacGovern for US Senate July Quarterly," Accessed September 12, 2012