|Idaho State Senate District 10|
|December 1, 2004 - February 22, 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 2004|
|Bachelor's||College of Idaho|
|Place of birth||Caldwell, Idaho|
McGee graduated with his history degree from the University of Idaho.
Before becoming a Senator, McGee was a policy advisor to Dirk Kempthorne when he was Governor of Idaho and a legislative assistant for Kempthorne when he was in the United States Senate. McGee also worked as a marketing director for an Idaho hospital.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, McGee served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, McGee served on these committees:
- See also: Idaho State Senate elections, 2010
| Idaho State Senate, District 10 |
2010 General election results
|John McGee (R)||7,068||72.6%|
|Leif Skyving (D)||2,672||27.4%|
|Idaho State Senate, District 10 (2008)|
|John McGee (R)||10,011||72.9%|
|Harold Stiles (D)||3,728||27.1%|
In 2008, McGee collected $83,434 in donations.
His four largest contributors were:
|Canyon County Republican Central CMTE||$2,320|
|Union Pacific Railroad||$2,000|
|Staker Parson Companies||$2,000|
|Idaho Power Co||$2,000|
Arrested for grand theft, drunken driving
In early Sunday morning, June 19, 2011, McGee was arrested for drunken driving and grand theft.
The Ada County Sheriff’s Office reported that McGee started drinking Saturday might in a golf course clubhouse and then began walking before coming to a Ford Excursion with a trailer hooked up. The SUV was unlocked with the keys inside. McGee got inside and drove away.
At some point in the night, McGee unsuccessfully tried to turn the vehicle and trailer around, jack-knifing the two. McGee eventually fell asleep in the Excursion. Two witnesses in a nearby house were watching all of the events transpire and called police. When police arrived McGee told authorities he was on his way to Jackpot.
He pleaded guilty to misdemeanor DUI in July.
Sexual harassment allegations, resignation
On February 22, 2012, Republican Senate leaders announced McGee's resignation after allegations of sexual harassment against McGee came to light. The claims were made by an unidentified Senate attache. Senate President Pro Tem Brent Hill stated, “In this situation, my first priority is to ensure a safe, secure and professional work environment for Senate employees. My second priority is to protect the integrity and institution of the Idaho State Senate.”
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term John + McGee + Idaho + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
McGee represented Idaho Senate District 10. District 10 included the southern portion of Canyon County.
John is married to Hanna McGee and live in Caldwell, Idaho.
- John McGee's personal website
- Official Idaho Senate website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004
- Magic Valley, "Sen. McGee Resigns Amid Harassment Allegation," February 23, 2012
- Idaho Senate, Members of Idaho senate standing committees
- "GOP gain in Idaho House could trigger policy changes," Idaho Reporter, November 3rd, 2010
- Idaho Senate official election results for 2008
- McGee Campaign Donors
- KTVB "Police: State senator stole truck after drinking," June 19, 2011
- Idaho Statesman "State Sen. John McGee arrested for drunken driving, grand theft," June 19, 2011
- "Sen. John McGee arrested for grand theft, drunken driving," By Mitch Coffman, Idaho Reporter, June 19th, 2011
- "Idaho Legislature" 2009 Legislative Directory, July 22, 2009(See page 2)
|Idaho Senate District 10
2004–February 22, 2012
| Succeeded by|