|Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries|
|January 17, 2011 - Present|
|January 19, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||2 terms|
|Alabama House of Representatives|
|Commissioner of the Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources|
|High school||Baldwin County High School|
|Place of birth||Bay Minette, Alabama|
McMillan was born in Bay Minette, Alabama and raised in Stockton, in Baldwin County, where he worked on uncle’s farm and in his father’s sawmill. He attended Stockton School and Baldwin County High School, and went on to receive a bachelor's degree in economics from Rhodes College. After graduation, McMillan returned to work at his family's saw mill. The future commissioner remained there for 20 years, cultivating his understanding and appreciation of the agriculture industry.
McMillan was Executive Vice President of the Alabama Forestry Association from 1983-2006. 
- Stockton School
- Baldwin County High School
- Bachelor's degree, economics, Rhodes College
Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries (2010-present)
McMillan was first elected Commissioner on November 2, 2010. His will be up for re-election in 2014.
McMillan first entered politics when he ran for Baldwin County Commission. He served as a member of the commission and on the Baldwin County Republican Executive Committee. His political experience prior to becoming agricultural commissioner also includes three years as Alabama's Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources, and two terms as a representative in the State House. In addition, he made an unsuccessful bid for Alabama State Senate, District 22, back in 2006.
|Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture & Industries, 2010|
- General Electionrace for Alabama State Senate, District 22
- McMillan was defeated in the general election by his Democratic opponent, Pat Lindsey.
|State Senate, District 22, 2006|
|Democratic||Pat Lindsey Incumbent||54.1%||19,744|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of John McMillan's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|John McMillan's Campaign Contributions|
Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries
Alabama State Senate District 22
|Total Raised||$634,570||$649,928 (Lost)|
|Total Raised by Opponents||$264,930 (Dem)||$693,988 (Dem)|
|Top 5 contributors||John M. McMillan Jr.||$105,325||Business Council of Alabama||$75,000|
|Alabama Forestry Association||$64,322||Alabama Forestry Association||$65,000|
|Alabama Farmers Federation||$25,000||Alabama Republican Party||$65,000|
|McMillan Campaign Fund||$15,250||Alabama Farmers Federation||$58,243|
McMillan and his wife, Kathryn, have two sons, Murphy and William, and two grandchildren, El and John. The enthusiastic outdoor sportsman is particularly fond of hunting and fishing.
1445 Federal Dr
Montgomery, AL 36107
- Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries - Commissioner John McMillan
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2006
- Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries, "Meet Commissioner McMillan," accessed September 20, 2012
- Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries, "Meet Commissioner McMillan," accessed April 10, 2012
- Alabama Secretary of State, "November 2010 General Election Results," accessed March 26, 2011
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Elections Division-Alabama Legislature Results 2006," accessed April 10, 2012
- Follow the Money.org, "Home," accessed February 17, 2015
- Project Vote Smart, "Project Vote Smart-Biography of John McMillan," accessed April 10, 2012
|Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries
| Succeeded by|