|Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries|
|January 17, 2011 - Present|
|January 19, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Predecessor||Ron Sparks (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||2 terms|
|Alabama House of Representatives|
|Commissioner of the Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources|
|High school||Baldwin County High School|
|Place of birth||Bay Minette, Alabama|
McMillan was born in Bay Minette, Alabama and raised in Stockton, Baldwin County, where he worked on his uncle’s farm and in his father’s sawmill. He attended Stockton School and Baldwin County High School, and went on to receive a bachelor's degree in economics from Rhodes College. After graduation, McMillan returned to work at his family's saw mill. The future commissioner remained there for 20 years, cultivating his understanding and appreciation of the agriculture industry.
McMillan was Executive Vice President of the Alabama Forestry Association from 1983-2006.
- Stockton School
- Baldwin County High School
- Bachelor's degree, economics, Rhodes College
Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture (2010-present)
McMillan was first elected Commissioner on November 2, 2010. He will be up for re-election in 2014.
McMillan first entered politics when he ran for Baldwin County Commission. He served as a member of the commission and on the Baldwin County Republican Executive Committee. His political experience prior to becoming agricultural commissioner also includes three years as Alabama's Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources, and two terms as a representative in the State House. In addition, he made an unsuccessful bid for Alabama State Senate, District 22, back in 2006.
McMillan won election as Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries in the November 2, 2010 election, defeating Democratic candidate Glen Zorn.
|Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture & Industries, 2010|
- General Election race for Alabama State Senate, District 22
|State Senate, District 22, 2006|
|Democratic||Pat Lindsey Incumbent||54.1%||19,744|
Comprehensive donor information for John McMillan is available dating back to 2006. Based on available campaign finance records, John McMillan raised a total of $1,298,597 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 5, 2013.
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of John McMillan's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|John McMillan's Campaign Contributions|
Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries
Alabama State Senate District 22
|Total Raised||$634,570||$649,928 (Lost)|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$264,930 (Dem)||$693,988 (Dem)|
|Top 5 contributors||John M. McMillan Jr.||$105,325||Business Council of Alabama||$75,000|
|Alabama Forestry Association||$64,322||Alabama Forestry Association||$65,000|
|Alabama Farmers Federation||$25,000||Alabama Republican Party||$65,000|
|McMillan Campaign Fund||$15,250||Alabama Farmers Federation||$58,243|
McMillan and his wife, Kathryn, have two sons, Murphy and William, and two grandchildren, El and John. The enthusiastic outdoor sportsman is particularly fond of hunting and fishing.
1445 Federal Dr
Montgomery, AL 36107
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + McMillan + Alabama + Agriculture"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries - Commissioner John McMillan
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2006
- Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries, "Meet Commissioner McMillan," accessed September 20, 2012
- Alabama Secretary of State, "November 2010 General Election Results," accessed March 26, 2011
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Elections Division-Alabama Legislature Results 2006," accessed April 10, 2012
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for John McMillan," accessed July 5, 2013
- Follow the Money.org, "Home," accessed February 17, 2015
- Project Vote Smart, "Project Vote Smart-Biography of John McMillan," accessed April 10, 2012
Ron Sparks (D)
|Alabama Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries
| Succeeded by|