John Neely Kennedy
|John Neely Kennedy|
|Louisiana State Treasurer|
|January 2000 - Present|
|Years in position||15|
|Predecessor||Kenneth Duncan (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||October 22, 2011|
|Bachelor's||Vanderbilt University (1973)|
|J.D.||University of Virginia (1977)|
|Other||BCL, Oxford University (1979)|
|Place of birth||Centerville, Mississippi|
Kennedy was born in Centreville, Mississippi. He is married and has one child. Kennedy is an adjunct professor at LSU Law School and a volunteer substitute teacher for East Baton Rouge Parish public schools.
Kennedy was first elected as Insurance Commissioner in 1999 and has been re-elected since. He was a candidate for U.S. Senate in 2004 and 2008.
Kennedy served as Special Council to Louisiana Governor Buddy Roemer from 1988-1992, Secretary in the Governor's Cabinet from 1990-1992, and Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Revenue from 1996-1999.
- BCL, Oxford University, 1979
- JD, University of Virginia, 1977
- BA, Vanderbilt University, 1973
Louisiana Treasurer 2000-present
As state treasurer Kennedy oversees the state’s $10.6 billion investment portfolios, as well as local and state bond issues and returns unclaimed property.
Kennedy ran for a fourth term as state treasurer in 2011. Since he did not draw any opposition he was automatically re-elected.
Kennedy won re-election as state treasurer in the November 2007 election unopposed.
Comprehensive donor information for Kennedy is available dating back to 1999. Based on available campaign finance records, Kennedy raised a total of $5,844,256 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 11, 2013.
|John Neely Kennedy's Campaign Contribution History|
|Grand Total Raised||$5,844,256|
|*Kennedy ran as a Democratic candidate in these years.|
1999, 2003, 2007
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of John Neely Kennedy's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|John Neely Kennedy's Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponents||-||-||$1,033,643 (Dem.)|
|Top 5 contributors||William B. Lawton Co||$6,000||John Neely Kennedy||$500,000||John Kennedy||$205,000|
|Woodvine Group||$5,000||John Kennedy||$250,000||James C. & Susan M. Donohue||$10,000|
|Russ Greer||$5,000||Adams & Reese||$5,250||Adams & Reese||$7,500|
|Dangle & Associates||$5,000||Jules B. LeBlanc III||$5,000||Jules B LaBlanc III||$5,500|
|Lakeshore Estates Builders||$5,000||Murray White||$5,000||John O. Hearin||$5,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Kennedy + Louisiana + Treasurer"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Louisiana State Treasury - Treasurer John Neely Kennedy
- Official 2011 campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 1999
- John Neely Kennedy on Facebook
- John Neely Kennedy on Twitter
- Times Picayune, "State Treasurer John Kennedy wins new term; Gov. Jindal draws little-known foes," September 8, 2011
- Daily Kos, "LA-Sen: Rove gets Treasurer Kennedy to switch parties," August 27, 2007
- Project Vote Smart, "John Neely Kennedy," accessed May 7, 2011
- Louisiana Department of the Treasury, "About Treasurer Kennedy," accessed May 7, 2011
- Shreveport Times, "Treasurer John Kennedy says he might run for Louisiana governor in 2015," July 29, 2013
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for John Kennedy," accessed July 11, 2013
- Follow the Money.org, "Home," accessed February 17, 2015
Kenneth Duncan (D)
|Louisiana State Treasurer
| Succeeded by|