For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Difference between revisions of "John Nygren"
|Line 38:||Line 38:|
|Line 127:||Line 133:|
Revision as of 12:06, 10 May 2011
|Wisconsin State Assembly District 89|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
January 3, 2013
Nygren has worked as an insurance/financial representative, and restaurant owner.
On his campaign site Nygren lists his positions on a number of issues, including:
- Jobs & The Economy - "We must invest in our people to ensure that they are properly trained for the jobs of today, and tomorrow. I support tax credits for employer assisted higher education so that employers might invest in its employees."
- Taxes - "Reducing our tax burden is a top priority. I will work to eliminate job and innovation killing taxes such as the Wisconsin’s Death Tax and Internet Tax."
- Government Spending - "A good place to start saving taxpayer money is to stop giving taxpayer-funded benefits (including free College tuition) to illegal aliens. I support legislation, vetoed by Governor Doyle, to stop illegal aliens from raiding our tax dollars."
- Health Care - "People need access to information on hospitals and doctors in order to be smart consumers. Giving more power to health care users will help keep costs down as providers compete for their business. I will continue to support legislation that would require disclosure of these costs to you, the consumer."
- Gun rights - "I am a strong defender of the right of individuals to protect themselves, I oppose efforts by those who would trample on our constitutionally protected rights to keep and bear arms."
- Ethics and Campaign Finance - "Open, honest government is the only way to combat unethical political behavior. One way to ensure that our system is clean is full disclosure. If everyone can see what elected officials are doing, unethical behavior is reduced."
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Nygren has been appointed to these committees:
- Finance Committee
- Joint Committee on Finance
- Insurance Committee
- Joint Committee on Legislative Council
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Nygren served on these committees:
Nygren announced on May 10 that he would run against Democratic state Sen. Dave Hansen in a recall election. Mary Scray, vice chair of the Brown County Board, announced she would also likely run. About 18,870 signatures were filed against Hansen on April 21, seeking his recall.
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2010
Nygren was re-elected to Wisconsin State Assembly District 89. He defeated Democrat Bob Orwig in the general election on November 2, 2010. He was unopposed in the September 14, 2010 primary election. 
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 89 General Election (2010)|
|John Nygren (R)||15,788|
|Bob Orwig (D)||7,520|
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 89 Republican Primary (2010)|
|John Nygren (R)||4,805||99.81|
Legislation sponsored in 2009 includes:
- AJR-51 Sovereignty under the 10th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the U.S. Constitution claimed; federal mandates provision
- AR-7 Rate increases re sales tax, income tax, or franchise tax: two-thirds majority vote in Assembly required for passage, concurrence, and adoption
For a full listing of sponsored legislation and details see the House site.
The top 5 donors to Nygren's 2008 campaign were mostly individuals:
|WI Health Care Assoc||$500|
|Ziegelbauer, Gary J||$500|
- Representative Nygren's web page
- Wisconsin Assembly - Representative John Nygren
- Project Vote Smart biographical profile
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Wisconsin Democracy Campaign profile
- Representative Nygren's Freedom Speaks profile
- Representative Nygren's facebook
- Representative Nygren's twitter
- Representative Nygren's LinkedIn
- Project Vote Smart - Assemblyman Nygren
- Vote John Nygren Issues
- Daily Reporter, "Wisconsin GOP assemblyman to run against Democratic senator in recall election," May 10, 2011
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "Wisconsin Senate recall races tempt Assembly members," April 30, 2011
- Official GAB primary results
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions
|Wisconsin State Assembly District 89
| Succeeded by|
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |