|U.S. House, Maryland, District 3|
|January 3, 2007-Present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 7, 2006|
|Next election||November 6, 2012|
|High school||Gilman School|
|J.D.||Harvard Law School|
|Birthday||May 22, 1962|
|Place of birth||Baltimore, Maryland|
John Sarbanes, the son of former Maryland senator Paul Sarbanes, was born in 1962 in Baltimore, Maryland. He earned his A.B. from Princeton University and his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1984 and 1988, respectively.
Prior to his political career, Sarbanes worked as an attorney.
U.S. House of Representatives
Sarbanes serves on the following committees:
- Committee on Natural Resources
- Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources
- Subcommittee on National Forests, Parks & Public Lands
- Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
- Subcommittee on Technology and Innovation
- Subcommittee on Subcommittee on Research and Science Education
Percentage voting with party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, John Sarbanes has voted with the Democratic Party 95.0% of the time, which ranked 13 among the 192 House Democratic members as of November 2011.
Sarbanes is seeking re-election on the Democratic ticket. The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run was January 11, 2012. Sarbanes defeated David Lockwood in the April 3, 2012 Democratic primary. He faces Eric Delano Knowles in the November general election.
On November 2, 2010, Sarbanes won re-election to the United States House of Representatives. He defeated Jim Wilhelm (R), Jerry McKinley (Libertarian), Alain Lareau (Constitution), and the write-in candidates in the general election.
|U.S. House of Representatives, Maryland's 3rd Congressional District, 2010 - John Sarbanes Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$45,015|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$41,109|
|Top contributors to John Sarbanes's campaign committee|
|Johns Hopkins U||$14,600|
|Clement, Pappas & Co||$10,400|
|Operating Engineers Union||$10,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$40,450|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term John + Sarbanes + Maryland + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this official due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=John+Sarbanes+Maryland+House&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=John Sarbanes News Feed
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Maryland State Board of Elections "Primary Election Results 2012" Accessed April 3, 2012
- Gov Track "Sarbanes" Accessed May 22, 2012
- Biographical Guide to Members of Congress "John Sarbanes" Accessed November 30, 2011
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "House of Representatives Committee Assignments" Accessed November 30, 2011
- OpenCongress "Voting With Party"
- National Journal "Modern Gerrymanders: 10 Most Contorted Congressional Districts—MAPS" Accessed March 31, 2012
- Hometown Annapolis "Maryland gets C on Transparency" Accessed March 26, 2012
- Progressive Maryland "2012 Candidates" Accessed March 26, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed November 30, 2011
- Open Secrets "John Sarbanes 2010 Re-Election Cycle," Accessed November 30, 2011
- Official House Site "Biography," Accessed November 30, 2011
|U.S. House of Representatives - Maryland, District 3
| Succeeded by|