John Sullivan (Illinois)
|Illinois State Senate District 47|
|2003 - Present|
|January 11, 2017|
|Years in position||12|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Date of birth||January 9, 1959|
|Place of birth||Macomb, Illinois|
Sullivan graduated from Qunicy College. Before becoming a Senator, Sullivan was a real estate agent.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Sullivan served on these committees:
- Appropriations II Committee, Illinois State Senate, Chair
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate
- Energy Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Higher Education Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Revenue Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Subcommittee on Special Issues (Revenue), Vice Chair
- Transportation Committee, Illinois State Senate
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Sullivan served on these committees:
- Agriculture and Conservation
- Appropriations II Chairman
- Deficit Reduction
- Financial Institutions
- Higher Education
- Pensions and Investments
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Sullivan won re-election in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 47. Sullivan was unopposed in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012 and defeated Randy Frese (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate, District 47, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Sullivan Incumbent||56.4%||51,298|
|Illinois State Senate, District 47 (2008)|
|John Sullivan (D)||77,597|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2008, Sullivan collected $163,535 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to his campaign.
|Illinois Education Association||$11,000|
|Associated General Contractors of Illinois||$7,500|
|Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois||$5,000|
|Illinois State Medical Society||$3,000|
|Archer Daniels Midland||$2,500|
|Chicago Teachers Union||$2,000|
|Illinois Harness Horsemens Association||$2,000|
|Illinois Health Care Association||$2,000|
|Operating Engineers Local 649||$2,000|
|Cass County Democratic CMTE||$2,000|
|Illinois Merchants Association||$1,500|
|Community Bankers Association of Illinois||$1,500|
|Norfolk Southern Corp||$1,500|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers Association||$1,500|
|Illinois Realtors Association||$1,450|
|Bruce Simon Consulting||$1,450|
|Association of Illinois Electrical Cooperatives||$1,300|
Illinois Opportunity Project
The Illinois Opportunity Project, "an independent research and public policy enterprise that promotes legislative solutions in advance of free markets and free minds," annually releases its Legislative Vote Card, grading all members in both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly on the basis of their support of "pro-growth economic policies that increase personal freedom and reign in expansive government."
Sullivan received a score of 62.50 out of 100 in 2012 for a grade of C- according to the IOP’s grading scale. His score was tied for the 24th highest among all 59 members of the Illinois State Senate included in the Vote Card.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term John + Sullivan + Illinois + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Sullivan has a wife, Joan, and four children, Matthew, Emily, Luke, and Mark.
- Biography, bills and committees at the Illinois General Assembly
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- Campaign website
- Campaign Facebook page
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002
- Sen. Sullivan on State Surge
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois State Board of Elections, “Official Vote - November 6, 2012 General Election,” accessed December 31, 2012
- Illinois Senate election results for 2008
- Sullivan Campaign Donors
- Illinois Opportunity Project, "The Project," accessed February 21, 2013
- Illinois Opportunity Project, Legislative Vote Card home page, accessed February 21, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "John Sullivan," accessed October 20, 2012
|Illinois Senate District 47
| Succeeded by|