|West Virginia State Senate District 16|
| Assumed office|
| Current term ends|
January 14, 2015
Unger attended both the University of Hong Kong and Georgetown University School of Law. He then earned his BA from West Virginia University in 1993. He went on to receive his BA/MA from the University of Oxford in 2004.
Unger was a Missionary for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Hong Kong in 1988, and again from 1990 to 1991. He also worked as Special Assistant to the Director for the United States Refugee Program in Hong Kong from 1989 to 1991. In 1991 he was a member of United Nations Operation Provide Comfort. He was also Liaison Coordinator for the Non-Governmental Organization/Private Voluntary Organization in the United States Agency for International Development Disaster Assistance Response Team in 1991. From 1991 to 1993 he was coordinator and founder of the West Virginia University Office of Service Learning Programs. Unger was Chief of Staff in the Hong Kong Legislative Council for Councilor Simon Ip from 1994 to 1995. He then worked as vice president of Community and Economic Development for Van Wyk Enterprises from 1996 to 1998. In 2000 and 2001 he worked as Non-Governmental Organization/National Guard Liaison Coordinator. Unger became Director of Communications for Save the Children International, Iraq in 2003. Since 1998 he has worked as producer and host of WEPM Panhandle Live Talk Show. He became Senior Advisor of Homeland Security and Economic Development for Edgerton, Germeshausen and Grier, Incorporated/United Research Services, National Energy Technology Laboratory in 2003 and has worked there since.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Unger has been appointed to these committees:
- Children, Juveniles and Other Issues Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Economic Development Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Education Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- Education Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Education Accountability Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Infrastructure Committee, West Virginia State Legislature, Chair
- Finance Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- Finance Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Judiciary Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- PEIA, Seniors and Long Term Care Committee, West Virginia State Legislature, Chair
- Rule-Making Review Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Rules Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- Water Resources Committee, West Virginia State Legislature, Chair
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Unger served on these committees:
- Agriculture Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Economic Development Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Education Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Finance Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Health and Human Resources Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Natural Resources Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, West Virginia Senate
John Unger was re-elected to the West Virginia State Senate, District 16. He defeated Democrat Patrick Murphy in the May 11 primary. Unger defeated Republican Craig Blair in the November 2, 2010 general election.
|West Virginia State Senate, District 16 (2010) General Election|
|John Unger (D)||18,800||50.43%|
|Craig Blair (R)||18,482||49.57%|
|West Virginia State Senate, District 16 Democratic Primary (2010)|
|John Ronald Unger II (D)||4,073||43.27%|
|Patrick Hale Murphy (D)||1,784||18.95%|
Unger raised $139,583 for his campaign, while Jerry Mays raised $40,631.
|West Virginia Senate, District 16 (2006)|
Unger raised $139,583 for the 2006 election.
His major contributors are listed below.
|Jefferson County Teachers||$2,000|
|West Virginia Education Association||$2,000|
|Contractors Association of West Virginia||$2,000|
|West Virginia Bankers Association||$2,000|
Unger is single.
- Biography from the West Virginia Legislature
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998
|West Virginia State Senate District 16
| Succeeded by|
State of West Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Schools | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |