|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 10A|
|2007 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||7|
|Assistant Majority Leader, Minnesota House of Representatives|
|2013 - present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 7, 2006|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Minnesota|
|Master's||University of Minnesota|
|Birthday||August 2, 1950|
|Place of birth||Duluth, Minnesota|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Election history
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Ward served as Mayor of Proctor from 1984 to 1988, and on the Proctor City Council from 1982 to 1984.
Ward's professional experience includes working as a Property/Casualty Insurance Agent with EPIC Insurance, Emotional Behavioral Disorder Instructor in the Brainerd School System, Alternative Education Director for Independent School District 704, and an Adult Basic Education Instructor at the Northeast Regional Corrections Center.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Ward served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Capital Investment, Vice-chair|
|• Jobs and Economic Development Finance and Policy|
|• Public Safety Finance and Policy|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Ward served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Agriculture and Rural Development|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Education Finance|
Ward's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "As your representative, I author, research and vote on legislation. My role as your legislator is to advocate for YOU and YOUR interests to the best of my ability and to work as hard as I can to protect and enhance YOUR quality of life."
Jobs and Economy
- Excerpt: "I will work to create and retain living wage jobs in our communities. I will encourage local economic development, which is vital for the economic stability of area families."
- Excerpt: "I will continue to fight to return Minnesota to the forefront of public education by fully and fairly funding our public school systems."
- Excerpt: "I have witnessed the impact on quality of life that the lack of access to affordable health care has. Providing healthcare for all will remain one of my highest legislative priorities."
Property Tax Reform
- Excerpt: "I am committed to a fair, progressive and balanced tax structure for individuals and businesses in which all pay their fair share. Property ownership should be an attainable reality for all Minnesotans- not just the 'American Dream.'"
Ward won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 10A. He was unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 7 and defeated Chris Kellett (R) in the general election on November 6.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 10A, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||John Ward Incumbent||57.1%||11,789|
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 12A (2010)|
|John Ward (DFL)||9,435||57.52%|
|Kevin Goedker (R)||6,924||42.21%|
John Ward raised $50,407 for his campaign.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 12A (2008)|
|John Ward (DFL)||13,766||64.93%|
|David Allan Pundt (R)||7,410||34.95%|
Comprehensive donor information for Ward is available dating back to 2006. Based on available campaign finance records, Ward raised a total of $158,982 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 1, 2013.
|John Ward's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota State House, District 10A||$30,457|
|2010||Minnesota State House, District 12A||$24,163|
|2008||Minnesota State House, District 12A||$50,407|
|2006||Minnesota State House, District 12A||$53,955|
|Grand Total Raised||$158,982|
2012Ward won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Ward raised a total of $30,457.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Ward's campaign in 2012|
|Crow Wing County Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$3,150|
|10th Senate District DFL New||$1,025|
|Aitkin County Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$900|
|IBEW Local #31 Volunteer Cope Fund||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$30,457|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Ward won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Ward raised a total of $24,163.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Ward's campaign in 2010|
|12th Senate District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$650|
|Minnesota Telecommunication Alliance||$500|
|Carpenters Local 1644||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$24,163|
2008Ward won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2008. During that election cycle, Ward raised a total of $50,407.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2008 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Ward's campaign in 2008|
|Crow Wing County Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$2,000|
|6th Senate District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$1,200|
|Aitkin County Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$1,000|
|North Central States Regional Council Of Carpenters||$500|
|Total Raised in 2008||$50,407|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2006Ward won election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2006. During that election cycle, Ward raised a total of $53,955.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2006 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to John Ward's campaign in 2006|
|Ward, John E. (also filed as Ward, John)||$7,000|
|8th Congressional District Democrat-Farmer-Labor||$800|
|AFSCME Minnesota Council 5||$500|
|Total Raised in 2006||$53,955|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
Ward is married with four children. He has been a member of the Brainerd Elks Club and Brainerd Moose Club.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term John + Ward + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Campaign website
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Ward
- "voteforward," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," Accessed June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Minnesota Secretary of State – 2010 General Election Results
- 2008 General Election Results
- Follow the Money's report on Ward's 2008 campaign contributions
- Follow the Money, "Ward, John." Retrieved July 1, 2013.
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed September 27, 2013
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed September 27, 2013
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed September 27, 2013
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed September 27, 2013
Bud Nornes (R)
|Minnesota State House District 10A
| Succeeded by|
|Minnesota State House District 12A
| Succeeded by|
Jay McNamar (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |