John White (Louisiana)
|Louisiana Superintendent of Education|
|January 11, 2012 - Present|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed||January 11, 2012|
|Appointed by||Board of Elementary and Secondary Education|
|Bachelor's||University of Virginia|
|Master's||New York University|
White began his career as a high school English teacher in New Jersey. He then worked for Teach for America (TFA) as a coach and mentor, going on to become Executive Director of TFA-Chicago.
In 2006, White became New York City Deputy Chancellor of Talent, Labor and Innovation, leading negotiations for the city with the United Federation of Teachers. Prior to that he served as Chief Executive Officer for NYC's Portfolio Division. In May 2011 he became Superintendent of the Louisiana Recovery School District.
- Bachelor's of Arts Degree in English - University of Virginia
- Master's Degree in Public Administration - New York University
Louisiana Superintendent of Education (2012-present)
White first assumed the statewide post of Superintendent of Education in Jan. 2011 following his appointment by the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education.
After taking office in early 2012, White expressed excitement about Governor Bobby Jindal's (R) 2012 education reform package, stating, "I think it really does address the most immediate and necessary changes across the school system of Louisiana. When you are in the parish systems, they tend to acknowledge these are, whether you like them or not, lasting and important reforms that work, especially toward families who have been too long underserved by our system."
White was appointed as Louisiana Superintendent of Education by the by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education on January 11, 2012. The board voted 9-1 in favor of White, with one abstention. Lottie Beebe, the only member to vote no, stated, "Credentials and experience do matter. The governor's nominee lacks a great deal of both in my opinion."
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + White + Louisiana + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Louisiana Department of Education, "STATE EDUCATION BOARD NAMES JOHN WHITE STATE SUPERINTENDENT OF EDUCATION," January 11, 2012
- Louisiana Department of Education, "Meet John White," accessed March 7, 2013
- News Star, "Q&A: John White discusses the future of Louisiana education," January 28, 2012
- Times Picayune, "State board of education votes overwhelmingly for John White as next state superintendent," January 11, 2012
|Louisiana Superintendent of Education
January 11, 2012–present
| Succeeded by|