John Williams (Colorado)
|Board Member, Mesa County Valley School District 51, At-large|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November, 2017|
|High school||Grand Junction High School|
Williams graduated from Grand Junction High School and is currently a business attorney. He and his wife, Kim, have two children who graduated from District 51 schools.
|Mesa County Valley School District 51, District C General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||John Williams Incumbent||53.2%||19,543|
|Source: Mesa County, Colorado "2013 Coordinated Election," Accessed December 16, 2013|
Williams was endorsed by The Daily Sentinel, the Grand Junction Area Chamber of Commerce and "Strong Schools, Strong Communities."
Williams stated the following about his campaign priorities on his website:
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
Three seats on the Mesa County Valley School Board were up for election. Current District C seat holder John Williams and District E seat holder and Board President Greg Mikolai sought re-election to their seats, while District D seat holder Leslie Kiesler was term-limited.
About the districtMesa County, Colorado. According to the 2010 US Census, Mesa County is home to 146,723 residents.
Mesa County underperformed in terms of its average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011 compared to the state of Colorado. The median household income in Mesa County is $52,986 compared to $57,685 statewide. The poverty rate in Mesa County is 12.7% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 26.1% of Mesa County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado as a whole.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "John + Williams + Mesa + County + Valley + School + District + 51"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- John Williams District 51 School Board, "Who Am I?" accessed November 1, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate Detail," Accessed December 19, 2013
- Letter to the Editor The Daily Sentinel, "LETTER: Re-elect Greg Mikolai to the school board," published October 16, 2013
- John Williams District 51 School Board, "My Priorities" accessed November 1, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Mesa County, Colorado," accessed October 31, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Total Registered Voters By Party Affiliation and Status," accessed October 4, 2013