|U.S. House, Arizona, District 1|
|Arizona State Senate|
|Arizona House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||University of Arizona|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
Jonathan Paton was a 2012 Republican candidate who sought election to the U.S. House representing the 1st Congressional District of Arizona. He was a member of the Arizona State Senate, representing the 30th District, from 2008 until his resignation on February 22, 2010. Paton resigned in order to run for U.S. Congress.
Paton earned his BA in German/Russian at the University of Arizona in 1996. He went on to attend the Graduate Program in German at the University of Arizona. Paton then attended the Total Army Instructor Training in 2000 as well as the Military Intelligence Officer Basic Course in 2006.
After earning his degree, Paton worked as a German instructor in the United States Army Reserve, German G.A.T., at the University of Arizona from 1998 to 2000. He also worked for the Tucson Unified School District during this time. Paton has served in the United States Army Reserves as a first Lieutenant since 1998.
In 2000 Paton became the Vice President/President of Paton and Associates Consulting. He then became Vice President of P. Drachman Commercial, Incorporated in 2001.
Paton served in the Arizona House of Representatives from 2004 to 2008.
Before his resignation, Paton served on the following committees:
- Commerce and Economic Development Committee, Arizona Senate
- Education Accountability and Reform Committee, Arizona Senate
- Judiciary Committee, Arizona Senate Chairperson
Paton's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Create Jobs & Rebuild the Economy
- Excerpt: "The economic recession has affected all of us, including my family. And while we all hope that the economy get better, it seems that everything Washington does only seems to make things worse."
- Stop the Government Spending Addiction
- Excerpt: "Government is spending more money than it takes in. I believe in cutting, capping and balancing our federal budget. That’s why I support a balanced budget amendment to prevent the spending addiction we’ve seen in Washington."
- Utilize American Energy & Lower Gas Prices
- Excerpt: "Energy and gasoline costs are skyrocketing, and we are all feeling the impact. America has untapped energy supplies, including right here in Arizona. We need an all-of-the-above energy policy that reduces the regulations and red tape that are preventing Arizona from using our own resources."
- Repeal Obamacare
- Excerpt: "ObamaCare is a giant weight that is preventing businesses large and small from creating jobs. We must repeal ObamaCare and stop its implementation. ObamaCare is an enormous cost that our country cannot afford and it risks diminishing the quality of health care we receive in this country."
- Secure the Border
- Excerpt: "We must secure the border and stop the vicious drug cartels from making further inroads into Arizona. Something is seriously wrong when signs must be posted telling visitors to stay away from national parks due to drug cartel activity — and yet the federal government does nothing about it."
Paton ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Arizona's 1st District. He defeated Gaither Martin, Patrick Gatti, and Douglas Wade in the Republican primary on August 28, 2012. He was defeated by Ann Kirkpatrick (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
According to the website Daily Kos, this race was one of nine top-ballot 2012 races that contained a Libertarian candidate who received more total votes than was the difference between the Democratic winner and the GOP runner-up. In this case, Kim Allen took in over 6,500 more votes than the number that separated Kirkpatrick and Paton.
|U.S. House, Arizona District 1 General Election, 2012|
|Source: Arizona Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Arizona District 1, 2012 - Jonathan Paton Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$2,349,203|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$2,355,342|
|Top contributors to Jonathan Paton's campaign committee|
|Tuttle-Click Automotive Group||$20,250|
|Services Group of America||$16,000|
|Tag Employer Services||$12,500|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
- Campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign Contributions: 2008 2006 2004
- Facebook page
- Twitter feed
- AZ Central, "Another state legislator resigns to run for Congress," February 22, 2010
- Campaign website, Issues
- Official primary candidate list
- Associated Press primary results
- ABC News, "General Election Results 2012-Arizona," November 7, 2012
- Daily Kos, "Libertarians provided the margin for Democrats and at least nine elections," November 15, 2012
- Open Secrets "Jonathan Paton 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed March 19, 2013
|Arizona State Senate District 30
2008-February 22, 2010
| Succeeded by|