|Iowa State Senate District 12|
|January 8, 2017|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||January 4, 2011|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Service/branch||United States Army Reserves|
|Years of service||2003-2004|
|Profession||Montgomery County Auditor|
Ernst, a lifelong resident of Montgomery County, earned a Bachelors of Science from Iowa State University and Masters of Public Administration from Columbus College. She has served in the US Army Reserves and the Iowa National Guard for 18 years. She holds the rank of Major in the Iowa National Guard and serves as Operations Branch Chief in logistics for the Joint Forces Headquarters in Johnson, Iowa. She spent 14 months mobilized in Kuwait in 2003-2004. Ernst is currently serving her sixth year as Montgomery County Auditor. She has been married to her husband Gail for 18 years. They have three children.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Ernst served on these committees:
Ernst's 2011 special election Campaign site lists several key policy positions and campaign themes:
- Eliminate Wasteful Spending
- Create Jobs on Main Street
- Reduce Property Taxes
English as Official Language
In 2002, Iowa passed a measure to make English the official language of the State of Iowa. In 2007, Ernst took part in a successful lawsuit challenging the legality of the state's bilingual voter registration forms.
- Part one of the forum can be found here.
- Part two of the forum can be found here.
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Ernst ran for re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. Due to redistricting, Ernst ran in District 12. Ernst ran unopposed in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012. No candidates filed to run in the Democratic primary. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Joni + Ernst + Iowa + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa State Senate - Sen. Joni Ernst
- Official campaign website
- Campaign Facebook page
- Secretary of State, Special Election Page
- Campaign Facebook Page, "Info"
- U.S. English, "Opening Arguments in Iowa Official English Case Heard Today," December 21, 2007
- U.S. English Foundation, "Legal Defense"
- Creston News Advertiser, "Ernst, Smith focus on social, economic issues," December 15, 2010
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results"
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed April 17, 2012
- Official Iowa Candidate list
- Iowa SOS, Unofficial Election Results
- Des Moines Register "Republican Ernst wins state Senate seat," January 5, 2011
Brian Schoenjahn (D)
|Iowa State Senate District 12
| Succeeded by|
|Iowa State Senate District 48
| Succeeded by|
Dan Zumbach (R)