|Iowa State Senate District 12|
|January 8, 2017|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||January 4, 2011|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Service/branch||United States Army Reserves|
|Years of service||2003-2004|
|Profession||Montgomery County Auditor|
Ernst earned her B.S. from Iowa State University and her M.P.A. from Columbus College. Her professional experience includes working as Montgomery County Auditor. She has served in the U.S. Army Reserves and the Iowa National Guard for 18 years, earning the rank of Major in the Iowa National Guard and serving as Operations Branch Chief in logistics for the Joint Forces Headquarters in Johnson, Iowa.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Ernst served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Human Resources|
|• Rules and Administration|
|• Veterans Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Ernst served on these committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Local Government|
|• Veterans Affairs|
Ernst's 2011 special election Campaign site lists several key policy positions and campaign themes:
- Eliminate Wasteful Spending
- Create Jobs on Main Street
- Reduce Property Taxes
English as Official Language
In 2002, Iowa passed a measure to make English the official language of the State of Iowa. In 2007, Ernst took part in a successful lawsuit challenging the legality of the state's bilingual voter registration forms.
- Part one of the forum can be found here.
- Part two of the forum can be found here.
Ernst officially announced her candidacy on July 10, 2013.
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Ernst ran for re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. Due to redistricting, Ernst ran in District 12. Ernst ran unopposed in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012. No candidates filed to run in the Democratic primary. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
Comprehensive donor information for Ernst is available dating back to 2011. Based on available campaign finance records, Ernst raised a total of $128,208 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Joni Ernst's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State Senate, District 12||$55,847|
|2011||Iowa State Senate, District 48||$72,361|
|Grand Total Raised||$128,208|
Ernst raised $252,000 in her first fundraising quarter, according to reports released October 10, 2013.
In a statement, Ernst said: ”I am incredibly thankful to those who have been so generous with their support over the last several weeks. Each and every contribution, no matter the amount, helps my campaign to continue to grow in momentum. I am excited to continue traveling the state and meeting with voters to share my vision of taking our shared Iowa values to Washington, D.C.”
2012Ernst won re-election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Ernst raised a total of $55,847.
|Iowa State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Joni Ernst's campaign in 2012|
|John Deere & Co||$5,000|
|Associated General Contractors of Iowa||$3,000|
|Iowa Association Of Electric Cooperatives||$3,000|
|Iowa Corn Growers Association||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$55,847|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Ernst and her husband, Gail, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Joni + Ernst + Iowa + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa State Senate - Sen. Joni Ernst
- Official campaign website
- Campaign Facebook page
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2011
- Des Moines Register "Joni Ernst announces bid for Senate seat" Accessed July 10, 2013
- U.S. English, "Opening Arguments in Iowa Official English Case Heard Today," December 21, 2007
- U.S. English Foundation, "Legal Defense"
- Creston News Advertiser, "Ernst, Smith focus on social, economic issues," December 15, 2010
- KMALand, "Ernst still undecided on Senate bid," May 23, 2013
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results"
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed April 17, 2012
- Official Iowa Candidate list
- Iowa SOS, Unofficial Election Results
- Des Moines Register "Republican Ernst wins state Senate seat," January 5, 2011
- followthemoney.org, "Ernst, Joni K," accessed September 19, 2013
- Des Moines Register, "Ernst raises $252,000 for her U.S. Senate campaign," accessed October 11, 2013
Brian Schoenjahn (D)
|Iowa State Senate District 12
| Succeeded by|
|Iowa State Senate District 48
| Succeeded by|
Dan Zumbach (R)