Iowa State Senate, District 48
|Profession||County Auditor, Military|
|Website||Official campaign website|
Ernst, a lifelong resident of Montgomery County, earned a Bachelors of Science from Iowa State University and Masters of Public Administration from Columbus College. She has served in the US Army Reserves and the Iowa National Guard for 18 years. She holds the rank of Major in the Iowa National Guard and serves as Operations Branch Chief in logistics for the Joint Forces Headquarters in Johnson, Iowa. She spent 14 months mobilized in Kuwait in 2003-2004. Ernst is currently serving her sixth year as Montgomery County Auditor. She has been married to her husband Gail for 18 years. They have three children.
Ernst's 2011 special election campaign site lists several key policy positions and campaign themes:
- Eliminate Wasteful Spending
- Create Jobs on Main Street
- Reduce Property Taxes
English as Official Language
In 2002, Iowa passed a measure to make English the official language of the State of Iowa. In 2007, Ernst took part in a successful lawsuit challenging the legality of the state's bilingual voter registration forms.
- Part one of the forum can be found here.
- Part two of the forum can be found here.
Phone: (712) 621-4931
- Campaign Facebook Page, "Info"
- U.S. English, "Opening Arguments in Iowa Official English Case Heard Today," December 21, 2007
- U.S. English Foundation, "Legal Defense"
- Creston News Advertiser, "Ernst, Smith focus on social, economic issues," December 15, 2010
- Official Iowa Candidate list
- Iowa SOS, Unofficial Election Results
- Des Moines Register "Republican Ernst wins state Senate seat," January 5, 2011