José Castañeda recall, Salinas, California (2014)
The recall effort against Castañeda is being led by Juan Sandoval, who opposes Castañeda holding elected seats on both the Salinas city council and on the Alisal Union School District Board. Castañeda was elected to the city council as District 1 representative in 2012, and has been in a legal battle with the city over his duel positions. The city believes there is a conflict of interest. Castañeda has refused to resign from school board, but did not file for reelection. His school board term finishes in November.
A recall attempt against Salinas Mayor Joe Gunter is also underway in relationship to the controversy. Mayor Gunter had refused to assign Castañeda to any committees until he was off the school board.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in California
On August 21, 2013 City Clerk Patricia Barajas approved the recall petition against Castañeda. Recall supporters will have 90 days to gather 1,449 signatures from registered voters in Castañeda district.
On June 20, 2013, Sandoval started the recall process by handing Castañeda a notice of intention to recall.. Sandoval then filed a petition with the Salinas city clerk. However, Sandoval failed to fulfill some legal requirement to continue with the recall effort and had to start again in late July.
- Recall campaigns in California
- Political recall efforts, 2013
- City council recalls
- Joe Gunter recall, Salinas, California (2013)
- KSBW.com, "Jose Castaneda served with recall papers in Salinas," June 21, 2013
- Monterey County Weekly, "Recall Petition Against Castañeda Approved; Potential for Two Recall Elections Next Year," August 21, 2013
- KSBW.com, "Thursday, Friday are double D-Day for Castaneda," August 7, 2013
- The Herald, "Jose Castañeda won't run for re-election on Alisal school board," August 9, 2013
- Salinas Californian, "Mayoral recall paperwork rejected again", April 26, 2013
- TheCalifornian.com, "New Castañeda recall effort launched," July 25, 2013
- KSBW.com, "Alisal parent files recall against Salinas city councilman Castaneda," June 24, 2013