Joseph C. Mitchell
|Joseph C. Mitchell|
|Alabama House of Representatives District 103|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||20|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Morehouse College, 1969|
|Master's||University of South Alabama, 1974|
|Ph.D.||Texas A&M University, 1983|
|Other||CASE, University of Alabama-Birmingham, 1979|
|Birthday||May 28, 1948|
|Place of birth||Mobile, AL|
|Profession||Researcher/Founder, Alabama American Research and Education Associates, Inc.|
|Religion||African Methodist Episcopal|
Mitchell works as a Researcher at the Alabama American Research and Education Associates Incorporated, an industrial engineer, and a jazz musician/educator.
He is a member of the Charity Hospitals of Louisiana, Community Education, City of Mobile, Coosa County Public School Adult Education, Fulton-Dekalb Hospital Authority, Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a Neighborhood Youth Corp Instructor.
Mitchell served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Subcommittee on Professional Qualifications
- Subcommittee on Higher Education
- Internal Affairs Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
- Mobile County Legislation Committee, Alabama House of Representatives
Mitchell won re-election to the 103rd District Seat in 2010. He had no opposition.
Mitchell raised $74,498 for his campaign.
In 2010, Mitchell raised $23,261 in contributions. 
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama Trial Lawyers Association||$2,500|
|Alabama State Employees Association||$2,500|
In 2006, Mitchell collected $74,498 in donations.
Below are Mitchell's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2006 election:
|AL Education Assoc||$20,000|
|Seth Hammett Campaign||$10,000|
|AL Trial Lawyers Assoc||$6,500|
|Milton E McGregor||$3,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Joseph + Mitchell + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
On January 27, 2013, Mitchell used his official government email account to respond to a constituent who was urging lawmakers not to pass laws curtailing gun ownership. Mitchell wrote, "Your folk never used all this sheit (sic) to protect my folk from your slave-holding, murdering, adulterous, baby-raping, incestuous, snaggle-toothed, backward-a**ed, inbreed (sic), imported criminal-minded kin folk." The constituent, Eddie Maxwell, replied by saying "That’s not the type of reply I expect to receive from a state legislator. I’m not a racist and I find your reply to be especially offensive considering the position you hold."
Mitchell has a wife, Janetta.
- Alabama Legislature - Joseph C. Mitchell
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- State Surge - Legislative and voting track record
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Mitchell
- Statewide general election results
- 2006 election results, Alabama
- Alabama House spending, 2006
- 2010 contributions
- Follow the Money - 2006 Campaign contributions
- Al.com "Alabama lawmaker's email: 'Slave-holding, murdering, adulterous, baby-raping, snaggle-toothed kin folk," March 27, 2013
|Alabama House District 103
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|