|Washington State Senate District 18|
|1997-May 30, 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1982-1989|
|Profession||President, JP Zarelli, Incorporated|
Zarelli held the leadership positions of Republican Leader of the Washington State Senate in 2005, Senate Majority Leader in 2003, Majority Caucus Vice Chair in 2003 and Republican Caucus Vice Chair in 2001-02.
Zarelli earned his AAS from Clark College.
Zarelli is the president of JP Zarelli, Incorporated. He served in the United States Navy from 1982 to 1989.He is the president of JP Zarelli, Incorporated. 
In 2002, Zarelli collected unemployment while being paid as a state legislator.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Zarelli served on the following committees:
- Economic Development, Trade & Innovation Committee, Washington State Senate
- Rules Committee, Washington State Senate
- Ways and Means Committee, Washington State Senate, Ranking Minority Member
Joseph Zarelli did not run for re-election in 2012.
On November 4, 2008, Zarelli was re-elected for the Eighteenth District of the Washington State Senate receiving 39,311 votes.
Zarelli raised $224,891 for his campaign.
|Washington State Senate, District 18 (2008)|
|Joseph Zarelli (R)||39,311|
|Jon Haugen (D)||32,127|
In 2008, Zarelli collected $224,891 in donations.
Listed below are the top four contributors to his campaign. 
|Galleria Homes LLC||$1,600|
|Service Employees Local 925||$1,600|
|Washington Chiropractic Trust||$1,600|
|Washington Aggregates & Concrete Association||$1,600|
Zarelli and his wife have four daughters and two grandchildren.
- See also: Freedom Foundation's Big Spender List
The Freedom Foundation releases its Big Spender List annually. The Institute ranks all Washington legislators based on their total proposed tax and fee increases. To find each legislator’s total, the Institute adds up the 10-year tax increases or decreases, as estimated by Washington’s Office of Financial Management, of all bills sponsored or co-sponsored by that legislator. 
Zarelli proposed a 10-year increase in state taxes and fees of $17 million, tied for the 30th highest amount of proposed new taxes and fees of the 46 Washington state senators on the Freedom Foundation’s 2012 Big Spender List.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google News search for the term "Joseph + Zarelli + Washington + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Joseph Zarelli on the Washington State Senate website
- Zarelli's state-sponsored website
- Legislative profile of Zarelli on Project Vote Smart
- Biographical profile of Zarelli on Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2000, 1996, 1994
- 18th district map
- Washington Votes profile on Zarelli
- Colleagues express concerns about his unnervingly brutal approach to the state budget.
- Seattle Times, "Joe Zarelli leaving the Legislature on Thursday," May 29, 2012
- Zarelli bio from Washington SRC website
- Project Vote Smart - Sen. Zarelli
- Seattle Times, "Sen. Zarelli collected unemployment while earning salary", September 25, 2002
- Mitt Romney for President, "Mitt Romney Announces Support of Washington State Elected Officials and Leaders," February 13, 2012
- Washington Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Candidates," retrieved July 16, 2012
- Follow the Money's report on Zarelli's 2008 campaign contributions
- 2008 contributors to Joseph Zarelli
- Freedom Foundation's 2012 Big Spender List
- Freedom Foundation's 2012 list of Washington state senators by proposed new taxes and fees
|Washington Senate District 18
1996-May 30, 2012
| Succeeded by|