|Mississippi Senate District 20|
|2012 - Present|
|January 3, 2016|
|Years in position||2|
|Base salary||$10,000 per year|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|First elected||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November 3, 2015|
|Bachelor's||Mississippi State University|
|Profession||Real estate builder and developer|
Harkins is a commercial builder and developer. He is a licensed real estate broker and Vice President of Harkins Realty, Inc. He also owns and operates JMH Construction Company and co-founded JR Constructors, specializing in storm and disaster-related construction services.
Harkins earned a his bachelor degree in marketing and business administration from Mississippi State University.
- See also: Mississippi State Senate elections, 2011
Harkins won the 2011 election for Mississippi Senate District 20. He and Knox Ross both defeated Tony Bahou and Steve Gaines in the primary on August 2, 2011. Harkins defeated Ross in a runoff primary election on August 23, 2011 and faced no opposition in the general election on November 8, 2011. 
|Mississippi State Senate, District 20 Republican Primary Runoff, 2011|
|Mississippi State Senate, District 20 Republican Primary, 2011|
In 2011, Harkins received $178,823 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Mississippi State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Josh Harkins's campaign in 2011|
|Home Builders Association Of Mississippi||$5,000|
|Harkins, Gary & Pam||$5,000|
|Mississippi Manufacturers Association||$4,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$178,823|
|Total Votes received in 2011||7,297|
|Cost of each vote received||$24.51|
On his campaign website, Harkins outlines his position on a number of issues:
- "I am running for the Mississippi Senate district 20 for several reasons. Most importantly is the desire to fill the vacant seat with a solid dependable conservative voice for the citizens of Madison and Rankin counties. I want the voters to know that my conservative philosophy will be the guiding factor as to how I will represent this district."
- "I will work hard to find ways to CUT SPENDING in order to balance the budget. I think we are taxed enough as it is, and especially in this economy we find ourselves in today. My position is that the last thing we need to consider is an increase in taxes. The families of our state have to live within their means and there is no reason why the state should operate any differently."
- "In the area of economic development, I will support BUSINESS FRIENDLY LEADERSHIP by providing the least amount of regulation with the greatest amount of freedom for our business leaders and entrepreneurs to stimulate growth and provide better job opportunities for all of us. That means providing the credits and incentives necessary to win the new business and industry locations we need for our community."
- "I am a product of the public education system in Rankin County, and I believe we need to continue to provide our children with the best educational opportunities and environments, within our means, so that we have an educated world-class work force able to compete in what is now a global economy."
- "It is essential that we provide better transportation arteries for Rankin and Madison counties to accommodate the rapid growth we have experienced. We need safe streets for our citizens to travel and for our businesses to deliver their goods and services to market."
- "I support pro-life issues. I support our citizens’ second amendment right to bear arms. I believe in the least amount of government regulation and intrusion into our lives and the greatest amount of liberty and freedom for all of us."
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Josh + Harkins + Minnesota + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Harkins and his wife, Andrea, have two children.
- JoshHarkins.com, "About Josh," Accessed July 25, 2011
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Newt 2012 Announces “Mississippi Leaders With Newt”," March 12, 2012
- Mississippi Department of State, 2011 Official State Senate Candidate List
- Clarion Ledger "Longwitz, Harkins apparent winners in GOP Senate races," August 23, 2011
- WDAM "Election 2011 Runoff Results," August 23, 2011
- Sun Herald "Legislative incumbents toppled," August 23, 2011
- Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- Josh Harkins.com, "Key issues in district 20," accessed August 24, 2011
|Mississippi State Senate District 20
| Succeeded by|