|Former candidate for|
|Board Member, Adams 12 Five Star Schools, District 3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Bachelor's||Colorado State University|
Bastian resides in Adams County, Colorado. Bastian graduated with a B.S. in Business Administration with an emphasis in Accounting and a minor in History from Colorado State University. He is currently employed as an accountant and internal auditor for the Colorado Department of Natural Resources.
|Adams 12 Five Star Schools, District 3 General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Source: Adams County, Colorado "Election Summary Report," November 19, 2013|
Bastian did not receive any official endorsements for his campaign.
In response to a candidate survey, Bastian provided the following two priorities of his campaign:
"I have two primary goals. I would like to continue to improve the quality of education within Adams 12 to the point that it can be considered the premier district within the state. I will fix the budget issues that have plagued the district for the past few years."
In the same survey, Bastian also stated that the following was the largest issue confronting the school district:
"The top issue that will be facing Adams 12 in 5 years unless it has been addressed before then will be fixing the budget. A constant yo-yo effect in the budget adversely affects students and staff. It needlessly decreases the confidence of the general public in Adams 12. To address this issue I will implement system of controls to moderate this effect in both good and bad years. That will allow the board and the administration to focus on improving the educational quality in Adams 12."
1. The money cannot all end up in the classroom (legally). At least $381 million must end up in administration costs.
2. CEA wants the money but does not want the strings that come attached. This should be a package deal. If the CEA wants the money it should be required to follow the spending requirements on that money. Why would CEA support a law only to try and change it immediately after passage? I refuse to support a bait and switch scheme.
3. Other tax increases will be required to access the tax increase being voted on in this amendment
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
Two seats on the board were at stake in this election. Incumbent Rico Figueroa ran unopposed to keep his District 4 seat after challenger Amy Speers was deemed ineligible to run due to her residency outside of the district, while in District 3, the retirement of current board member Dr. Frederick J. Schaefer left the seat open to newcomers Joshua Bastian, Debbie Christensen, David Elliott and Kathy Plomer. On November 5, the Colorado Secretary of State issued a rule stating that votes for disqualified candidates cannot be reported, which includes Speers.
About the district
- See also: Adams 12 Five Star Schools, Colorado
Adams County underperformed the rest of Colorado in terms of its average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Adams County is $56,089 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Adams County is 14.0% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 20.7% of Adams County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado as a whole.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joshua + Bastian + Adams + Five + Star + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Josh Bastian for Adams 12 School Board, "Candidate Information," accessed October 7, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate Detail," Accessed December 20, 2013
- Adams 12 Five Star Schools, "Joshua Bastian," accessed September 19, 2013
- Josh Bastian for Adams 12 School Board, "On the issues," accessed November 4, 2013
- Adams 12 Five Star Schools, "District determines candidate for board of education ineligible to run in Director District 4," accessed October 30, 2013
- Adams County, Colorado, "Media Advisory Adams 12 Five Star Schools Update," accessed November 6, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Adams County, Colorado," accessed October 2, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Total Registered Voters By Party Affiliation and Status," accessed October 2, 2013