Difference between revisions of "Joyce Beatty"
|Line 217:||Line 217:|
Joyce Beatty is married to her husband Otto.
Joyce Beatty is married to her husband Otto..
Revision as of 11:11, 20 June 2013
|U.S. House, Ohio, District 3|
|January 3, 2013-Present|
|January 3, 2015|
|Years in position||0|
|Predecessor||Mike Turner (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Ohio House of Representatives|
|Bachelor's||Central State University|
|Master's||Wright State University|
|Birthday||March 12, 1950|
|Place of birth||Dayton, Ohio|
- 1 Career
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Analysis
- 7 Recent news
- 8 Personal
- 9 External links
- 10 References
She currently works as a small retail owner downtown, and has been a professor at Sinclair Community College.
Based on analysis of multiple outside rankings, Beatty is an average Democratic member of Congress, meaning she will vote with the Democratic Party on the majority of bills.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Beatty's academic, professional and political career:
- 2008-Present: Senior vice president, Ohio State University
- 1992-Present: President, Joyce Beatty & Associates
- 1999-2008: Ohio House Representative
- 1983-1992: Director, Montgomery County Department of Community Human Services
- 1983: Director, adult and elderly services, Montgomery County Mental Health Board
- 1979-1992: Professor, Capital University
- 1975-1983: Professor, Sinclair Community College
- 1973-1975: Attended Wright State University, earned a M.S.
- 1971-1975: Caseworker, City of Dayton
- 1968-1972: Attended Central State University, earned a B.A.
Beatty serves on the following committees:
- Committee on Financial Services
- Subcommittee on Housing and Insurance
- Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
According to Beatty's website, her campaign themes included:
- Education: "Investing in our children’s education and ensuring an affordable college education is available are the most important investments we can make in our future."
- Social security: "I will stand up to anyone who attempts to cut funding to Medicare and Social Security..."
- The Economy: "...having a good paying job is the first step in having a good life and being able to provide for themselves and others."
Beatty won the election. Beatty ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Ohio's 3rd District. She defeated Priscilla Tyson, Ted Celeste and Mary Jo Kilroy in the Democratic Primary on March 6, 2012.
The Washington Post listed the House of Representatives elections in Ohio in 2012 as one of the states that could determine whether Democrats retake the House or Republican holds its majority in 2013. Ohio tied with Pennsylvania for 9th on the list.
|U.S. House, Ohio District 3 General Election, 2012|
|Libertarian||Richard Ehrbar III||3.2%||9,462|
|Source: Ohio Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Ohio's 3rd Congressional District Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Mary Jo Kilroy||34.7%||14,369|
Comprehensive donor information for Beatty is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Beatty raised a total of $812,493 during that time period. This information was last updated on March 25, 2013.
|Joyce Beatty's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||U.S. House of Representatives (Ohio District 3)||$812,493|
|Grand Total Raised||$812,493|
Breakdown by Year
|U.S. House of Representatives, Ohio's 3rd Congressional District, 2012 - Joyce Beatty Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Runner-up||$25,451|
|Total Spent by Election Runner-up||$25,233|
|Top contributors to Joyce Beatty's campaign committee|
|Ohio State University||$21,900|
|American Electric Power||$14,000|
|JPMorgan Chase & Co||$10,200|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Public Sector Unions||$36,000|
Ideology and leadership
Voting with party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Joyce Beatty has voted with the Democratic Party 96.2% of the time, which ranked 27th among the 201 House Democratic members as of June 2013.
Lifetime voting record
According to the website GovTrack, Beatty missed 0 of 108 roll call votes from Jan 2013 to Apr 2013, which is 0.0% of votes during that period. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. 
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Beatty's net worth as of 2011 was estimated between $1,526,030 to $3,491,000. That averages to $2,508,515, which is lower than the average net worth of Democratic House member in 2011 of $5,107,874.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Joyce + Beatty + Ohio + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: https://news.google.com/news/feeds?hl=en&safe=off&gl=us&q=joyce+beatty+ohio+house&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bpcl=40096503&biw=1523&bih=652&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Joyce Beatty News Feed
Joyce Beatty is married to her husband Otto.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Profile at the Ohio Ladies' Gallery website
- Ask the Candidate: Joyce Beatty complete video, October 18, 2012
- Democratic Leader Joyce Beatty profile at the Ohio House Democratic Caucus
- National Journal, "Ohio, 3rd House District," November 6, 2012
- CQ.com, "House Committee Rosters for the 113th Congress"
- Beatty For Congress, "Issues," Accessed August 30, 2012
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Ohio"
- WOSU NPR "Filing Deadline Brings Surprises Along With Candidates," December 8, 2011
- Ohio Secretary of State "Unofficial election results," Accessed March 6, 2012
- Washington Post "The 10 states that will determine control of the House in 2012" Accessed April 25, 2012
- Open Secrets "Career Fundraising for Joyce Beatty" Accessed March 2013
- Open Secrets "Joyce Beatty 2012 Election Cycle," Accessed March 4, 2013
- Gov Track "Joyce Beatty," Accessed June 20, 2013
- OpenCongress "Voting With Party"
- GovTrack, "Joyce Beatty" Accessed April 2013
- OpenSecrets.org "Joyce Beatty (D-Ohio), 2011," accessed February 22, 2013
- Project VoteSmart "Beatty," Accessed June 20, 2013
Mike Turner (R)
|U.S. House of Representatives - Ohio, District 3
| Succeeded by|