Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Illinois, District 2|
|Bachelor's||University of Evansville|
|Master's||Indiana State University|
Washington is the President and CEO of the Washington Group, which is a management consulting firm. She received a bachelors degree in Nursing from the University of Evansville and a masters degree in Public Administration from Indiana State University. She previously ran for Lieutenant Governor of Illinois in 2002, and for the United States Senate in 2004.
Washington's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Economy & Jobs
- Excerpt: "Joyce will work to support short-term initiatives that will immediately help accelerate and reinvigorate the economy and long-term policies that will establish lasting growth. Joyce believes one must invest in infrastructure, transportation, schools, communication, utilities and education."
- Excerpt: "Joyce Washington believes that every American deserves affordable healthcare. As a former executive at one of Chicago’s largest hospitals, Joyce Washington understands the community’s challenges with healthcare."
- Excerpt: "Education is the number one foundation to success and is vital for national and economic security. Education is a valuable resource Americans need to invest in immediately in order to bolster it’s economic future."
- Crime & Violence
- Excerpt: "Joyce supports a ban on assault weapons, high capacity magazines and promotes background checks for owners. She also believes that there must be more police readily available to enforce existing laws, especially in high crime areas."
- Healthcare/Medicare/Social Security
- Excerpt: "Our seniors have worked hard for retirement and deserve the promise of security in their golden years. Joyce Washington will fight to protect Medicare and Social Security’s long term solvency and the benefits necessary for our seniors today."
Washington ran in the 2013 special election for the U.S. House, representing Illinois' 2nd District. The election was held to replace Jesse Jackson, Jr.. Washington lost in the Democratic primary to Robin Kelly.
|U.S. House, Illinois District 2 Special Democratic Primary, 2013|
|Denise Anita Hill||0%||4|
|Source: Results via Illinois State Board of Elections|
|Illinois' 3rd Congressional District, Democratic primary|
|Poll||Debbie Halvorson||Toi Hutchinson||Robin Kelly||Napoleon Harris||Mel Reynolds||Anthony Beale||Other||Undecided||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|Normington-Petts (January 8-10)||16%||12%||8%||7%||7%||5%||5%||40%||+/-4.9||400|
|GBA Strategies (January 3-7)||25%||16%||15%||9%||8%||10%||2%||15%||+/-4.4||500|
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Joyce + Washington + Illinois + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |