Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, New York, District 19|
Schreibman is running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing New York's 19 District. He is seeking the nomination on the Democratic and Working Families Party tickets. He is opposed by Joel Tyner in the democratic primary. The general election is November 6, 2012 and will face Dutchess County legislator Joel Tyner in the June 26 Democratic primary.
The two agree on many issues. Tyner has made opposition to hydrofracking -- a controversial method of oil and natural gas recovery -- a main theme of his campaign, but Schreibman also says he opposes the technique "100%." Both candidates also have said they will not be yes-men for President Barack Obama. And each has a similar goal of protecting Social Security. On health care, there is some differentiation, as Tyner calls for a single-payer system, while Schreibman supports "universal access to health care" and favors the health care legislation already passed and known as "Obamacare."
Schreibman has been endorsed by retiring Representative Maurice Hinchey, and argues that he is the more electable candidate in the Republican-leaning district. He also says he has a greater fundraising capability, which would help battle "an avalanche of unregulated corporate money" in the general election.
But Tyner is quick to criticize the sources of Schreibman's campaign contributions as coming from "investors." He also highlights his own history of being elected to his county seat despite being in a heavily Republican area, while Schreibman's stint as county Democratic chairman saw party losses in the state Legislature.
The race could go either way, particularly with extremely low voter turnout expected.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Julian + Schreibman + New York + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- New York Board of Elections "Filings for June 26, 2012 Federal Primary," Accessed June 11, 2012
- River Reporter Online "Tyner and Schreibman vie for Hinchey’s seat; both claim they follow his progressive lead," June 20, 2012
- Record Online "Schreibman, Tyner face off in debate for 19th Congressional District," June 18, 2012
- Watershed Post "Congressional candidates Schreibman and Tyner face off in debate," June 19, 2012
- Sabato Crystal Ball "2012 House Ratings," June 13, 2012
- Hudson Valley Daily Freeman "Democratic congressional candidates Julian Schreibman, Joel Tyner square off in debate (videos)," June 19, 2012
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
State of New York Court of Appeals | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Supreme Courts (Trial Courts) | County Courts | Family Courts | Surrogates' Courts | Court of Claims | District Courts | New York City Civil Court | New York City Criminal Courts | New York City Courts | Problem Solving Courts | Town and Village Courts | Judicial selection in New York |