Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois State Senate District 29|
|Bachelor's||Knox College (1978)|
|Place of birth||Beardstown, Illinois|
|Profession||West Deerfield Township Supervisor|
Morrison previously served on the Governor’s Statewide Advisory Council to the Department of Children and Family Services from 1986-1996. She earned a BA in political science from Knox College in 1978.
Morrison's campaign website presents the following issues in a question and answer format:
- The excessive power outages of last summer are still on people’s minds. What can and should be done about ComEd?
- Excerpt: "Given its recent track record and what has been learned over the past months about how this public utility operates, I believe that ComEd’s profits must be restricted and it should bear the greatest burden for upgrading its aged delivery system."
- What will you do to ensure that public employees aren’t abusing the current pension system, and still make sure that teachers get the pensions they’re entitled to?
- Excerpt: "This district wants what is fair: reform to close the loopholes for abuse, and a plan for putting the state pension systems back on a sound financial footing."
- Where do you stand on gun control?
- Excerpt: "I am a proponent of strict and well-enforced gun safety laws. I do not support concealed carry legislation."
- Reproductive rights are very important to women and families. Do you believe in a woman’s right to choose?
- Excerpt: "I am 100% pro-choice. I support the right of women to have access to reproductive health options and procedures without the involvement of government and regardless of their ability to pay."
- What is your position on Israel, and how does this affect Illinois?
- Excerpt: "Illinois should proactively pursue business and trade initiatives with Israel."
- Why does Illinois still have townships? Aren’t they just a waste of taxpayer money?
- Excerpt: "If the township were not offering these essential services, they would have to be absorbed by the county or the municipalities within the township, almost certainly with less efficiency and at higher cost to taxpayers."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Morrison is running in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 29. Morrison defeated Milton J. Sumption in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012. Incumbent Susan Garrett is not running for re-election in District 29. Morrison will face Republican Arie Friedman in the general election on November 6, 2012.
Morrison was born in Beardstown, Illinois. She has a husband, Joe.
- Official campaign website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Julie Morrison for Illinois State Senate Facebook page
- Julie Morrison on LinkedIn