Karen Weldin Stewart
|Karen Weldin Stewart|
|Delaware Insurance Commissioner|
|2009 - Present|
|Years in position||5|
|Predecessor||Matt Denn (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Profession||Founder/Consultant, Weldin Group|
Stewart first worked at the state Insurance Department as a Deputy Receiver from 1989 to 1993. She co-founded the International Association of Insurance Receivers in 1991 and founded the Weldin Group, an insurance and reinsurance consulting company, in 1993.
- AS, Brandywine College
Insurance Commissioner (2009 - Present)
Stewart ran for re-election as Delaware Insurance Commissioner in 2012. She defeated Dennis Spivack, Mitch Crane and Paul Gallagher in the Democratic primary on September 11, 2012. Benjamin Mobley was unopposed in the Republican primary and David R. Eisenhour was unopposed in the Libertarian primary. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
On October 24, 2012 Libertarian candidate David R. Eisenhour suspended his campaign, announcing instead that he would run for clerk of the peace in Sussex County. Eisenhour urged his supporters to vote for his Republican challenger Benjamin Mobley, stating that when he announced his intention to run, only Democratic candidates had announced their candidacy and he decided to run in an effort to give voters another choice.
|Delaware Insurance Commissioner General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Karen Weldin Stewart Incumbent||61.1%||233,354|
|Libertarian||David R. Eisenhour||2.1%||7,838|
|Election Results via Delaware State Board of Elections.|
Comprehensive donor information for Stewart is available dating back to 2004. Based on available campaign finance records, Stewart raised a total of $444,304 during that time period. This information was last updated on July 8, 2013.
Stewart won re-election to the position of Delaware Insurance Commissioner in 2012. During that election cycle, Stewart raised a total of $159,254.
|Delaware Insurance Commissioner 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Karen Weldin Stewart's campaign in 2012|
|Cozen O'Connor PC||$2,300|
|International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers||$1,450|
|Edward P. Welch||$1,200|
|Gilliam S. Waldron||$1,200|
|Total Raised in 2012||$159,254|
|Total Votes received in 2012||233,354|
|Cost of each vote received||$0.68|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2004 and 2008
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Karen Weldin Stewart's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Karen Weldin Stewart's Campaign Contributions|
Delaware Insurance Commissioner
Delaware Insurance Commissioner
|Total Raised||$140,359||$110,686 (Lost)|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$95,596 (Rep.)|
|Top 5 contributors||Delaware Democratic Party||$25,000||RL Regulatory Consultants Inc||$1,400|
|Daniel F. Harkins||$10,000||Colodny Fass Talenfekd Karlinsky||$1,200|
|Carpenters & Joiners Local 626||$2,400||Thomas Huff & Co||$1,200|
|Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 74||$2,400||Charlotte A. Carter||$1,200|
|Carpenters Local 2012||$2,400||People for McDowell||$1,200|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Karen + Stewart + Delaware + Insurance"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Delaware Insurance Commissioner website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2004
- NAIC biography
- Campaign website
- Delaware Insurance Commission "Biography" Accessed October 8, 2012
- Delaware Insurance Commissioner, "Karin Weldin Stewart," accessed December 10, 2011
- AP Results "DE Insurance Commissioner Results" Accessed September 11, 2012
- State of Delaware, "Candidates filed 2012," accessed July 9, 2012
- The Republic "Libertarian suspends campaign for Delaware insurance commissioner, endorses GOP candidate" Accessed October 24, 2012
- Delaware State Board of Elections "General Election Results 2012" Accessed November 6, 2012
- Delaware Commissioner of Elections, "November 2008 General Election Results," accessed March 19, 2011
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Karen Weldin Stewart," accessed July 8, 2013
- Follow the Money.org
Matt Denn (D)
|Delaware Commissioner of Insurance
| Succeeded by|