For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Maryland House of Delegates District 4A|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Mount Saint Mary's University|
|Date of birth||May 27, 1957|
|Place of birth||San Francisco, California|
Afzali earned her bachelor's degree in Business from Mount Saint Mary's University. Her professional experience includes working as a Broadway actress, businesswoman, and President of Access KDM Consulting.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Afzali served on these committees:
- Subcommittee on Election Law
- Ways & Means
Elections for the office of Maryland House of Delegates took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 25, 2014. Gene Stanton was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while David E. Vogt III and incumbents Kathy Afzali and Kelly Schulz defeated Barrie S. Ciliberti and Wendi W. Peters in the Republican primary. Vogt, Afzali and Schulz defeated Stanton in the general election.
Afzali ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Maryland's 6th District. Afzali sought the nomination on the Republican ticket. Candidates Charles Bailey, Robert Garagiola, Milad Pooran, Mark Shriver, John Delaney and Ron Little ran on the Democratic ticket. Afzali was defeated in the April 3, 2012, primary by incumbent Roscoe Bartlett.
Afzali won election, coming in second in the November 2 general election.
|Maryland House of Delegates, District 4A General Election (2010)|
|Kelly Schulz (R)||16,952|
|Kathy Afzali (R)||16,683|
|Ryan Trout (D)||9,678|
|Bonita Riffle Currey (D)||6,993|
|Scott Guenther (I)||2,150|
In 2010, Afzali raised $29,069 in contributions.
Her six largest contributors were:
|Maryland Insurance Services||$3,500|
|Ladies In Leadership Club||$1,000|
|R W Warner||$1,000|
|Maryland Realtors Association||$1,000|
Afzali and her husband, David, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Kathy + Afzali + Maryland + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Maryland State Legislature
- Maryland House of Delegates
- Maryland House Committees
- Maryland Joint Committees
- Maryland House of Delegates District 4A
- House website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Campaign Website
- Facebook Page
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "Primary Election Results 2012" Accessed April 3, 2012
- Kathy for Congress, "Info" Accessed January 16, 2012
- Maryland Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 3, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "Official 2014 Gubernatorial Primary Election results for House of Delegates," accessed December 5, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "2012 Presidential Primary Election Results," accessed March 24, 2014
- Maryland Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed March 4, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
State of Maryland
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |