For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Texas State House, District 144|
|2009 - 2012|
|January 11, 2013|
|Per diem||$150 per day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
Legler announced on September 20, 2011 that he would not be seeking re-election in 2012.
Legler was the President & Owner of House Wire Works. He was also a member of the Bush Strike Force Team, Chamber of Commerce Board, National Federation of Independent Business Board, and Texas Association of Business Board.
Ken Legler served on the following Texas House of Representatives committees:
- HB 975 - Relating to drug testing of professional employees of public school districts.
- HB 1135 - Relating to required drug testing for applicants and recipients of unemployment compensation benefits.
- HB 1136 - Relating to disqualification for the receipt of unemployment compensation benefits for violation of an employer drug testing policy.
- HB 4301 - Relating to the availability of certain county, municipal, and school district financial information on certain Internet websites
Legler won re-election in District 144. He was unopposed in the March 2 Republican primary and then defeated Democrat Rick Molina, independent Brandon Weaver, and Libertarian Clifford Messina in the November 2 general election.
| Texas House of Representatives, District 144 |
2010 General election results
|Ken Legler (R)||15,425||59.45%|
|Rick Molina (D)||9,931||38.27%|
|Clifford Messina (L)||339||1.30%|
|Joel West (G)||249||0.95%|
On November 4, 2008, Legler won election to the Texas House of Representatives from the 144th District, defeating Democrat Joel Redmond. Legler received 19,980 votes, ahead of Redmond (19,078). He raised $592,850 for his campaign; Redmond raised $554,453.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 144|
|Ken Legler (R)||19,980||51.15%|
|Joel C. Redmond (D)||19,078||48.84%|
Legler raised a total of $529,798 in 2010. Below are Legler's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2010 election:
|Joe R. Strauss III Campaign||$220,000|
|Texans for Lawsuit Reform||$27,221|
|Texas House Republican Leadership Fund||$20,173|
|Perry, Bob J.||$20,000|
In the 2008 election, Legler raised a total of $592,850.
His five largest contributors in 2008 were:
|Texans For Lawsuit Reform||$97,560|
|Stars Over Texas PAC||$95,000|
|Empower Texans PAC||$92,219|
|Perry, Bob J||$70,500|
|Leininger, James R||$25,000|
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators are graded along a standard grading scale, receiving grades A through F based on their performance during the legislative session.
Ken Legler received a grade of A on the 2011 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
- 2011 Taxpayer Champion. Legler was named a "2011 Taxpayer Champion," which is "the top award presented by Texans for Fiscal Responsibility to legislators based on their rating on the most recent Fiscal Responsibility Index."
- Ken Legler's campaign website
- Texas House of Representatives - Rep. Legler
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Official Campaign Contributions-Personal
- Official Campaign Contributions-Committee
- Follow The Money, Campaign Contributions: 2010,2008
- Facebook profile
- Texas State Directory profile
- Texas Political Almanac HD 144 page
- Texas Tribune profile & bio
- Vote-TX.org profile
- State Surge profile
- Texas Conservative Coalition profile
- Ken Legler on Facebook
- Ken Legler on Twitter
- Houston Chronicle, "State Rep. Legler, 54, dies of apparent heart attack," June 1, 2012
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Legler
- Texas Legislature - Bills Authored/Joint Authored by Rep. Legler
- Official Texas Election Results
- Texas House official election results for 2008
- District 144 Texas House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign contributions
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index"
- Empower Texans, "2011 Taxpayer Champions
|Texas House District 144
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |