Oklahoma State Senate, District 43
Meador served as a combat medic, deploying to Iraq three times. Upon leaving the service, he enrolled in Oklahoma City Community College where he studies political science. He is a volunteer at a local charity and tutor. He is married to his wife Anita. They have one child.
Childers will be forced to move to the new District 43 if they wish to run for re-election. The district was moved as part of 2010 Census redistricting. Meador has stated that, if elected, he would not seek re-election in 2012. Childers intends to move if elected. To establish residency in the new district, they must move there by October 10, 2011.
On his campaign site, Meador details his campaign themes:
- Fighting to Keep and Create Good Jobs in SD 43: "As a college student himself, Kenneth is aware of the intersection of education, job training and economic growth in our communities. He understands the important role that education, job training and workforce development programs, like CareerTech, play in developing a strong middle class. Kenneth believes we must invest in local businesses that will create jobs for Oklahoma workers. He is committed to improving state efforts to attract new businesses to Oklahoma and create well-paying jobs in Senate District 43."
- Fulfilling our Responsibility to our Seniors and Veterans: "Kenneth believes we have a responsibility to our seniors and veterans and supports programs that care for these vulnerable groups. As a veteran himself, Kenneth supports programs that honor the service of our veterans, particularly those injured in the line of duty. He also supports programs that help keep our seniors healthy, independent and living on their own."
- Standing Up for Working Families: "When elected, Kenneth will stand up for working families, not special interests in the Oklahoma legislature. Kenneth is a hard working man who will bring his traditional Oklahoma work ethic to the State Capitol with him."
- Investing in our Childrens Future: "As the father of a 7-year old son who attends Oklahoma public schools, Kenneth has seen first-hand the challenges facing teachers and administrators today. Kenneth knows that our school districts need the proper resources for our children to receive the best education possible. He will fight to protect public education from devastating budget cuts that may seem like easy answers during difficult economic times."
- Doing the Right Thing: "Kenneth believes that protecting the most vulnerable among us is an Oklahoma value. He will always work to ensure that the tough decisions that must be made during difficult economic times are made with the well-being of Oklahoma's children, seniors, veterans, and families in mind and without the influence of lobbyists and special interests."
Meador for SD 43
PO Box 94743
Moore, OK 73143
- NewsOK, "Moderate turnout expected in Oklahoma special election for Senate District 43," October 11, 2011
- 23rd and Lincoln, "Winner of Tuesday special election to represent Senate District 43 (however briefly)," October 10th, 2011
- NewsOK, "Childers wins special state Senate GOP primary," August 10, 2011
- Meador for Senate, "About," Accessed September 27, 2011
- OK Election Board, Special Election for State Senator, District 43
- NewsOK, "Republican wins special Senate race," October 11, 2011
- NewsOK, "Moving decision faces candidates in special Oklahoma Senate race," August 27, 2011
- 23 and Lincoln, "Childers, Meador to square off in Senate District 43 special election," October 5, 2011