Kentucky Hunting and Fishing Amendment, House Bill 1 (2012)
The measure was introduced in Kentucky's 2011 legislative session. According to Stumbo: "That's a big step I think in the right direction to help not only this generation of sportsmen, but the next. We have a wonderful heritage of sports in this state. Kentucky was and still is the happy hunting ground."
Text of measure
The summary of the bill, in legislative session, read:
- An Act proposing to amend the Constitution of Kentucky relating to hunting, fishing, and harvesting wildlife.
- Bill Haycraft, president of the League of Kentucky Sportsmen, commented on animal rights groups and the possibility of those groups lobbying for making hunting illegal, "They have lots of money. They're highly educated. And if they can swing it with the legislatures, they will do it."
- According to House Speaker Greg Stumbo, "The real meat of this amendment to me is that it guarantees that the wildlife herds and our fishery population will be controlled by wildlife management."
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the Kentucky Constitution
On February 8, 2011, the Elections, Constitutional Amendments and Intergovernmental Affairs Committee voted to approve the measure, passing the amendment to the Kentucky House of Representatives for full debate and vote. The measure was then approved by the House, sending the measure to the Kentucky State Senate for a similar vote. Then, on March 1, 2011, the Senate State and Local Government Committee voted to approve the measure with a unanimous vote, placing the measure for a full chamber debate and vote. On March 4, 2011, the measure was approved and will appear on the statewide ballot in 2012.
60% of the membership of each chamber of the Kentucky General Assembly must approve of a proposed amendment in order for it to appear on the next general election during which members of the state legislature are up for election.
- Right to hunt and fish being discussed in Kentucky
- Hunting amendment snags place on 2012 ballot in Kentucky
- Wave3.com, "Hunting rights bill filed in KY House", September 1, 2010
- SCTIMES.com, "Hunting rights pass Kentucky assembly; Minnesota is 1 state that has similar measure", March 5, 2011
- Kentucky Legislature, "House Bill 1", Retrieved May 6, 2011
- Courier-Journal, "States being asked for 'right-to-hunt' amendments", September 4, 2010
- WFPL.org, "House Approves “Hunting Rights” Amendment", February 11, 2011
- WLWT.com, "Ky. Lawmakers Consider 'Right To Hunt' Amendment", February 8, 2011
- Kentucky.com, "Kentucky Senate panel approves hunting, fishing amendment", March 2, 2011