|Board member, Janesville Board of Education, At-large|
|Years in position||10|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||April 5, 2011|
|First elected||April 2005|
|Next general||April 1, 2014|
|Associate's||Blackhawk Technical College|
|Service/branch||U.S. Air Force|
Murray earned his Associate's degree in Fire Science from Blackhawk Technical College. He worked as a firefighter and paramedic with the Janesville Fire Department until his retirement. Murray is a veteran of the U.S. Air Force.
As of January 29, 2014, Murray has not reported any campaign contributions or expenditures to the district office. State law allows candidates to claim exempt status from campaign finance reporting if contributions and expenditures do not exceed $1,000 during a calendar year.
As of January 29, 2014, Murray has not received any official endorsements for his campaign.
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2012
Murray ran in the 2012 election for Wisconsin State Assembly District 44. He ran against Debra Kolste, Sam Liebert, and Yuri Rashkin in the Democratic primary on August 14, 2012. Incumbent Joe Knilans (R) is running unopposed in the Republican primary. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 44 Democratic Primary, 2012|
In an interview with GazetteXtra, Murray acknowledged his role as a frequent critic of Superintendent Karen Schulte:
|“||That's been kind of my reputation, one who isn't afraid to question what's going on in the school district, not in a confrontational way, but I consider myself to be an average guy, and I just want to know, so I can feel confident in what is going on and making sure our taxpayer dollars are being spent in the right way.||”|
What's at stake?
Incumbents Kevin Murray and Bill Sodemann are seeking re-election against challengers Diane Eyers, Fred Jackson and Dale Thompson. The board will welcome at least one new member as current member Scott Feldt did not file for re-election.
Issues in the election
March 4 candidate forum
The League of Women Voters and the Janesville Area Council PTA hosted a candidate forum on March 4. Every candidate except Fred Jackson attended the forum. Incumbents Kevin Murray and Bill Sodemann argued for their re-election bids based on recent progress achieved by the board. Murray believes that the district must retain experienced teachers in order to improve academic performance. Sodemann decided to seek re-election to promote Journey to Excellence, an initiative that uses results in the classroom to assess employee performance.
Challengers Diane Eyers and Dale Thompson emphasized the need for greater communication between district officials, teachers and parents. Eyers suggested that the district has to improve communications with the public regarding new policies. Thompson believes that teachers should be more involved in policy development rather than waiting for policies from the board. He also argued that the state legislature needs to provide more time for the district to meet Common Core curriculum standards.
About the district
- See also: Janesville School District, Wisconsin
Janesville underperformed in comparison to the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 21.5% of Janesville residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 26.4% for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in Janesville was $49,084 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in Janesville was 14.1% compared to 12.5% for the entire state.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Kevin + Murray + Janesville + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- GazetteXtra, "Five in the running for three Janesville School Board seats," January 8, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Overview: Local Candidates," May 2010
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Candidates on Ballot by Election - 2012 Partisan Primary 8/14/2012," retrieved June 12, 2012
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Nick Crow, GazetteXtra," "Janesville School Board candidates tackle issues during forum," March 5, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Janesville, Wisconsin," accessed January 28, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Government Accountability Board, "Wisconsin Election Results," accessed January 28, 2014
|2014 Janesville School District Elections|
|Election date:||April 1, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large • Diane Eyers • Fred Jackson • Kevin Murray • Bill Sodemann • Dale Thompson|
|Important information:||What's at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|