|U.S. Senate, New York|
|January 26, 2009-Present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 6, 2012|
|Appointed||January 26, 2009|
|Appointed by||New York Governor David Paterson|
|U.S. House of Representatives from New York's 20th district|
|J.D.||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Birthday||December 9, 1966|
|Place of birth||Albany, New York|
Gillibrand grew up in Albany. She went on to Dartmouth College and then attended UCLA Law School and graduated with a Juris Doctor in 1991.
In 1991, Gillibrand practiced law privately in Manhattan. In 1992 she took leave from private practice to serve as a law clerk to Judge Roger Miner on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in Albany. Gillibrand later served as Special Counsel to the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. In 1999, Gillibrand began working on Hillary Clinton's 2000 US Senate campaign. In 2001, Gillibrand became a partner at the Manhattan office of Boies, Schiller & Flexner. She left Boies in 2005 to begin her 2006 campaign for congress.
Gillibrand serves on the following committees:
- Environment and Public Works Committee
- Subcommittee on Children’s Health and Environmental Responsibility
- Subcommittee on Superfund, Toxics and Environmental Health
- Subcommittee on Water and Wildlife
- Armed Services Committee
- Subcommittee on Airland
- Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Subcommittee on Strategic Forces
- Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee
- Subcommittee on Commodities, Markets, Trade and Risk Management
- Subcommittee on Nutrition, Specialty Crops, Food and Agricultural Research
- Subcommittee on Livestock, Dairy, Poultry, Marketing and Agriculture Security
- Special Committee on Aging
Percentage voting with party
The website Open Congress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Kirsten Gillibrand voted with the Democratic Party 96.0% of the time, which ranked 10th among the 51 Senate Democratic members in November 2011.
House of Representatives
As a Member of the Senate, Gillibrand voted for the stimulus bill. 57% of U.S. voters believe that the stimulus has either hurt the economy (36%) or had no impact (21%). 38% believe the stimulus helped the economy. 
Gillibrand also voted in favor of the health care reform bill. 57% of likely voters at least somewhat favor repeal of the health care reform bill, including 46% who strongly favor repeal. 35% of likely voters oppose repeal. 51% of likely voters believe the health care reform bill will be bad for the country, while 36% believe it will be beneficial.
Finally, Gillibrand voted against an amendment that would have defunded the Obama Administration's lawsuit against Arizona over its new immigration law. As of July 8, 2010, 56% of U.S. voters were opposed to the Obama Administration's challenge to the Arizona immigration law.
On November 2, 2010, Gillibrand was elected to keep her appointment to the United States Senate. She defeated Joseph J. DioGuardi (R), Cecile A. Lawrence (Green), John Clifton (Libertarian), Joseph Huff (Rent Is 2 Damn High), Vivia Morgan (Anti-Prohibition), and Bruce Blakeman (Tax Revolt).
2010U.S. Senate in 2010. Her campaign committee raised a total of $13,418,545 and spent $13,007,808.
|U.S. Senate, New York, 2010 - Kirsten Gillibrand Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$2,384,584|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$2,323,845|
|Top contributors to Kirsten Gillibrand's campaign committee|
|Boies, Schiller & Flexner||$204,364|
|Davis, Polk & Wardwell||$152,750|
|JPMorgan Chase & Co||$116,450|
|Deutsche Bank AG||$60,756|
|National Amusements Inc||$51,550|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$1,455,488|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Kirsten + Gillibrand + New York + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this official due to the nature of the search engine.
- US Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand proposes student loan refinance plan - Kingston Daily Freeman
- Focus On Women, Families Propels New York's Sen. Gillibrand - NPR
- Senator seeks to reform military's 'unacceptable' sex abuse policies - NBCNews.com
- Was NPR's portrayal of NY Sen. Gillibrand sexist? - North Country Public Radio (blog)
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand: How Women Can Make Their Voices Heard in Politics - PolicyMic
- Senate panel OKs massive farm bill - MPNnow.com
- Kirsten Gillibrand's Moment - Daily Beast
- Senator Gillibrand Proposes Student Loan Legislation - 13WHAM-TV
- NY Senators Want Help With Border Issues - TV News Check
- Senators Quietly Seeking New Path on Gun Control - New York Times
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Gillibrand and her husband Jonathan live in Brunswick with their sons Theo and Henry.
- United States Senator Kirsten Gillibrand official U.S. Senate site
- Gillibrand for Senate official campaign site
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media coverage:
- ↑ Gov Track "Kirstin Gillibrand," Accessed March 3, 2012
- ↑ Capital New York "Gillibrand campaign emails supporters about Cenedella's 'misogynistic rhetoric,'" January 24, 2012
- ↑ PolitickerNY "George Maragos, Nassau County Comptroller, First Out of Gate Against Gillibrand," Accessed January 6, 2012
- ↑ Biographical Directory of the United States Congress "GILLIBRAND, Kirsten, (1966 - )"
- ↑ New York Daily News "Who is Kirsten Gillibrand? New York congresswoman to take Clinton's Senate seat"
- ↑ Kirsten Gillibrand, United States Senator for New York "Kirsten Gillibrand"
- ↑ Open Congress "Voting With Party"
- ↑ http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll690.xml
- ↑ http://www.gallup.com/poll/142967/Among-Recent-Bills-Financial-Reform-Lone-Plus-Congress.aspx
- ↑ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/10/AR2009021003665.html
- ↑ http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/economic_stimulus_package/august_2010/38_say_stimulus_plan_helped_economy_36_say_it_hurt
- ↑ http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2009-396
- ↑ http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/healthcare/september_2010/61_favor_repeal_of_health_care_law
- ↑ http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2010-2144
- ↑ http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/immigration/56_oppose_justice_department_challenge_of_arizona_law_61_favor_similar_law_in_their_state
- ↑ U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- ↑ Open Secrets "Kirsten Gillibrand 2010 Election Data," Accessed November 4, 2011
- ↑ Kirsten Gillibrand, United States Senator for New York "Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, A voice for the people of New York"
Hillary Rodham Clinton
|U.S. Senate - New York
| Succeeded by|
John E. Sweeney
|U.S. House of Representatives - District 20
| Succeeded by|
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |
Freedom of Information Law | Transparency Checklist | Government corruption reports | Transparency Legislation | Open Records procedures | Transparency Advocates | Transparency blogs | State budget | Taxpayer-funded lobbying associations |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
List of Towns |
List of School Districts |