Difference between revisions of "Lamar Alexander"
|Line 185:||Line 185:|
Revision as of 19:27, 9 March 2012
|U.S. Senate, Tennessee|
|Years in position||10|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|First elected||November 5, 2002|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Secretary, Department of Education|
|Governor of Tennessee|
|Bachelor's||Vanderbilt University, 1962|
|J.D.||New York University Law School, 1965|
|Birthday||July 3, 1940|
|Place of birth||Maryville, TN|
Below is an abbreviated outline of Alexander's academic, professional and political career:
- 1962: Received his B.A. from Vanderbilt University
- 1965: Received his J.D. from New York University Law School
- 1979-1987: Served as governor of Tennessee
- 1985-1986: Held a position as chairman of the National Governors Association
- 1991-1993: Served as U.S. secretary of education
- 2003-Present: U.S Senator from Tennessee
- Environment and Public Works
- Health, Education, Labor and Pensions
- Rules and Administration
Percentage voting with party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Lamar Alexander has voted with the Republican Party 91.9 of the time, which ranked 19 among the 47 Senate Republican members as of November 2011.
On November 4, 2008, Alexander won re-election to the United States Senate. He defeated Robert D. Tuke, Edward L. Buck, Christopher G. Fenner, Daniel Towers Lewis, Chris Lugo, Ed Lawhorn, and David Gatchell in the general election.
Alexander won re-election to the U.S. Senate in 2008. During that re-election cycle, Alexander's campaign committee raised a total of $8,309,683 and spent $6,520,264.
|U.S. Senate, Tennessee General Election, 2008 - Lamar Alexander Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$759,199|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$758,944|
|Top contributors to Lamar Alexander's campaign committee|
|Baker, Donelson et al||$38,850|
|National HealthCare Corp||$38,500|
|Corrections Corp of America||$35,700|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
|Securities & Investment||$307,949|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Lamar + Alexander + Tennessee + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this official due to the nature of the search engine.
Extension:RSS -- Error: Not a valid URL: http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&gl=us&q=Lamar+Alexander+Tennessee+Senate&um=1&ie=UTF-8&output=rss%7Ctemplate=slpfeed%7Cmax=10%7Ctitle=Lamar Alexander News Feed
Alexander and his wife, Honey, have four children.
- Political profiles:
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Gov Track "Lamar Alexander," Accessed March 3, 2012
- Biographical Director of the United States Congress "Lamar Alexander," Accessed November 4, 2011
- OpenCongress "Voting With Party"
- Nooga.com, "Alexander endorses Mitt Romney for president," February 27, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"
- Open Secrets "Lamar Alexander 2008 Election Cycle," Accessed November 4, 2011
|U.S. Senate - Tennessee
| Succeeded by|