Difference between revisions of "Washington Removal of Limitation on Land Ownership, SJR 20 (1966)"
m (Text replace - '==Election Results==' to '==Election results==')
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
Revision as of 14:02, 30 August 2011
|Voting on Civil Rights|
|Not on ballot|
Text on the Ballot
Shall the limitation on the ownership of land in the State of Washington by certain non-citizens be removed by repealing section 33, Article II, as amended by Amendments 24 and 29 of the state constitution?
Amendment 42 repealed Section 33 of Article II of the Washington State Constitution. It was the 42nd amendment approved to the (second) Washington State Constitution subsequent to its ratification in October 1889.
At the time that Amendment 42 was enacted, Section 33 said:
- "ALIEN OWNERSHIP - The ownership of lands by aliens, other than those who in good faith have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, is prohibited in this state, except where acquired by inheritance, under mortgage or in good faith in the ordinary course of justice in the collection of debts; and all conveyances of lands hereafter made to any alien directly, or in trust for such alien, shall be void: Provided, That the provisions of this section shall not apply to lands containing valuable deposits of minerals, metals, iron, coal, or fire clay, and the necessary land for mills and machinery to be used in the development thereof and the manufacture of the products therefrom: And provided further, That the provisions of this section shall not apply to the citizens of such of the Provinces of the Dominion of Canada as do not expressly or by implication prohibit ownership of provincial lands by citizens of this state."
Section 33 had previously been amended, before Amendment 42 repealed it altogether, by:
- Canadians Can Own Land in Washington, Amendment 24 (1950)
- Foreign Corporations Prohibited from Owning Land in Washington, Amendment 29 (1954).
- Washington 1966 ballot measures
- List of Washington ballot measures
- 1966 ballot measures
- List of ballot measures by year
- List of ballot measures by state