|U.S. House, Indiana, District 8|
|January 3, 2011-Present|
|January 3, 2013|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign|
|M.D.||University of Illinois|
|Service/branch||United States Navy Reserve|
|Years of service||1989-1998|
|Birthday||May 31, 1962|
|Place of birth||Taylorville, Illinois|
|Religion||Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Career
- 3 Committee assignments
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Analysis
- 7 Recent news
- 8 District 8
- 9 Personal
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Bucshon won re-election on November 6, 2012.
Bucshon was born on May 31, 1962 and raised in Kincaid, Illinois, in central Illinois. Bucshon attended the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and, upon receiving his bachelor’s degree, attended medical school at the University of Illinois, Chicago. Following medical school Bucshon completed a residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin, where he served as chief resident in surgery, and then remained there to complete a fellowship in cardiothoracic surgery. During this time he also enlisted with the United States Navy Reserve and served for almost a decade.
- 2011-Present: United States House of Representatives, Indiana's 8th congressional district
- 1989-1998: United States Navy Reserve
U.S. House of Representatives
Bucshon serves on the following committees:
- United States House of Representatives Committee on Education and the Workforce
- Subcommittee on Workforce Protections
- Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Training
- Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor, and Pensions
- United States House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
- Subcommittee on Research and Science Education
- Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight
- United States House of Representatives Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
- Subcommittee on Highways and Transit
- Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines, and Hazardous Materials
- Subcommittee on Water Resources & Environment
Bucshon ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Indiana's 8th District. Bucshon defeated Kristi Risk in the Republican primary and defeated Democrat Dave Crooks in the November 6 general election.
|U.S. House, Indiana District 8 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Larry Bucshon Incumbent||53.4%||151,533|
|Source: Indiana Secretary of State "House of Representatives Election Results"|
|U.S. House of Representatives Indiana, District 8 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Larry Bucshon Incumbent||58%||34,511|
|Larry Bucshon Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 15||$394,368.47||$96,670.00||$(83,924.16)||$407,114.31|
|July Quarterly||July 15||$266,423.74||$208,784.95||$(88,357.48)||$386,851.21|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2012||$386,851.21||$404,812.89||$(469,033.67)||$322,630.43|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Indiana's 8th Congressional District, 2010 - Larry Bucshon Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$762,359|
|Total Spent by General Election Opponent||$762,359|
|Top contributors to Larry Bucshon's campaign committee|
|Republican Party of Indiana||$11,082|
|St Mary's Medical Center||$10,458|
|American International Group||$10,372|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
Congressional Staff Salaries
The website Legistorm compiles staff salary information for members of Congress. Bucshon paid his congressional staff a total of $783,774 in 2011. He ranks 41st on the list of the lowest paid Republican Representative Staff Salaries and he ranks 46th overall of the lowest paid Representative Staff Salaries in 2011. Overall, Indiana ranks 35th in average salary for representative staff. The average U.S. House of Representatives congressional staff was paid $954,912.20 in fiscal year 2011.
Based on congressional financial disclosure forms and calculations made available by OpenSecrets.org - The Center for Responsive Politics, Bucshon's net worth as of 2010 was estimated between $646,052 and $1,991,000. That averages to $1,318,526, which is lower than the average net worth of Republican Representatives in 2010 of $7,561,133.
Percentage voting with party
The website OpenCongress tracks how often members of Congress vote with the majority of the chamber caucus. According to the website, Larry Bucshon has voted with the Republican Party 96 of the time, which ranked 11 among the 242 House Republican members as of November 2011.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Larry + Bucshon + Illinois + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
In 2011 redistricting, The Hill published a list of the Top Ten House Members who were helped by redistricting. Todd C. Young, representative from Indiana's 9th congressional district ranked 10th on the list. The article notes that in the redistricting process, controlled by Republicans, Young benefited from taking pockets of Republicans from Bucshon’s district next door in the 8th district and adding them into Young's 9th district, resulting in a vulnerable District 8.
Bucshon and his wife Kathryn reside in Warrick County with their four children.
- Social media:
- Political profiles:
- Financial (federal level):
- Interest group ratings:
- Issue positions:
- Public statements:
- Voting record:
- Media appearances:
- Media coverage:
- Gov Track "Bucshon" Accessed May 22, 2012
- Politico "2012 Election Map, Indiana"
- Congressman Larry Bucshon "Full Biography" Accessed November 5, 2011
- Congressman Larry Bucshon "Committees and Caucuses" Accessed November 5, 2011
- Education & The Workforce Committee "Members, Subcommittees, & Jurisdictions"
- Committee on Science, Space, and Technology "Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight"
- Transportation and Infrastructure Committee "Members » Subcommittee on Water Resources & Environment"
- Indiana Secretary of State "2012 Primary Election Results," May 8, 2012
- Indiana Secretary of State "2012 primary results"
- NRA Political Victory Fund "Indiana" Accessed April 27, 2012
- Bucshon for Congress "Dr. Bucshon Endorses by U.S. Chamber of Commerce" Accessed May 1, 2012
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"
- Federal Election Commission "Larry Bucshon April Quarterly" Accessed October 8, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "Larry Bucshon Pre-primary" Accessed October 8, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "Larry Bucshon July Quarterly" Accessed October 8, 2012
- Federal Election Commission "Larry Bucshon October Quarterly" Accessed October 22, 2012
- Open Secrets "Larry Bucshon 2010 Election Cycle," Accessed November 5, 2011
- LegiStorm "Larry Bucshon"
- OpenSecrets.org, "Bucshon, (R-Indiana), 2010"
- OpenCongress, "Voting With Party," accessed June 6, 2013
- The Hill "House members most helped by redistricting" Accessed April 17, 2012
|U.S. House of Representatives - Indiana, District 8
| Succeeded by|