|Iowa House of Representatives District 80|
|January 14, 2013 - Present|
|January 11, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Master's||University of Michigan|
Sheets earned his B.S. Electrical Engineering from Purdue University and his M.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Michigan.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Sheets served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2012|
|• Economic Growth|
|• Environmental Protection|
|• Labor, Vice-chair|
|• Local Government|
Sheets' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Creation and retention of manufacturing activity in Southeast Iowa."
- Excerpt: "The power to tax is the power to destroy. The power to borrow for the People is the power to enslave the people. These powers need limiting…"
- Excerpt: "Removal of activist judges who impose their will on the people."
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Larry Sheets was unopposed in the Republican primary and faced Deb Ballalatak (D) and Jared Godby (I) in the general election after Ballalatak filed to run on August 15, 2014. Incumbent Sheets defeated both Ballatak and Godby in the general election.
|Iowa House of Representatives District 80, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Larry Sheets Incumbent||59.5%||6,241|
Sheets ran in the 2012 election for Iowa House of Representatives District 80. Sheets ran unopposed in the Republican primary on June 5, 2012, and defeated Joseph Judge (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 80, General Election, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Sheets is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Sheets raised a total of $103,837 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 20, 2013.
|Larry Sheets's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State House, District 80||$103,837|
|Grand Total Raised||$103,837|
2012Sheets won election to the Iowa House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Sheets raised a total of $103,837.
|Iowa House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Larry Sheets's campaign in 2012|
|Iowa Republican Party||$90,151|
|John Deere & Co||$800|
|Total Raised in 2012||$103,837|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Sheets and his wife, Carolyn, have eight children.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Larry + Sheets + Iowa + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa House of Representatives
- Iowa House Committees
- Iowa House of Representatives District 80
- Iowa State Legislature
- Profile from the Iowa House of Representatives
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Larry Sheets on Facebook
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- sheetsforiowahouse.com, "Official Campaign Website," accessed April 8, 2014
- sheetsforiowahouse.com, "Issues," accessed September 29, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 1, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Sheets, Larry," accessed September 20, 2013
Mark S. Lofgren (R)
|Iowa House District 80
| Succeeded by|
State of Iowa
Des Moines (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | Director of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chair of Utilities |
Iowa Supreme Court | Judicial Nominating and Qualifications Commission | Circuit Court of Appeals | District Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |