Leigh Thomas Brown
|Leigh Thomas Brown|
|Former candidate for|
|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 82|
|High school||Northwest High School, 1993|
|Bachelor's||UNC-Chapel Hill, 1996.|
Thomas Brown earned her bachelor's degree in Business Administration from UNC-Chapel Hill in 1996. His professional experience includes working for Prudential Securities as a stockbroker, for Husqvarna as a saleswoman and as a realtor.
Thomas Brown's campaign website highlighted the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Everything in our county is dependent on jobs. Jobs for all sets of skills! I will work hard to be a partner for Cabarrus County and Raleigh. We need the Philip Morris and NC Research Campus in full swing. We need to support higher education and promote the offerings of RCCC within the community. With higher levels of employment, housing rebounds, commute times are lessened (which benefits the environment as well), families have more disposable and savings income, and quality of life increases. Jobs first."
- Excerpt: "I would like to see North Carolina join the growing list of states choosing to implement educational standards outside of Common Core. I believe that our children are being overtested and programs like Common Core only make testing worse. Children are not machines. They do not learn in the same ways. Teachers need the flexibility and freedom to use their skills to reach children in the best ways possible. When you have a second grader at home crying because of the convoluted methodology being pushed, you see this in a much clearer light."
- Excerpt: "As a Realtor, I have spent my career building this community up by selling one property at a time. A home is more than an investment-it’s an emotional place that can give sense of place, sense of belonging, a safe haven. Property rights are one of the cornerstones of American life. I will work hard to ensure the rights of business owners, landlords, tenants, homeowners-anyone who wants to own their piece of America and does not want the government overreaching into that right."
Gun owner rights
- Excerpt: "I fully support the Second Amendment. I believe in gun rights and gun safety, and yes, I do carry myself. I and others have the right to defend myself and my family in the way I deem best."
- Excerpt: "Isn't it a requirement that all politicians declare they wish to lower taxes? I believe in a fair tax system. I am a proponent of tax reform-there is no reason for our system to be so difficult to understand. I also believe that for our state to manage in an environment of lower revenue, we have to control our spending. Eliminate waste, expose loopholes, and be just as smart with spending on a state level as in my personal home."
Elections for the office of North Carolina House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 6, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 28, 2014. Incumbent Larry G. Pittman defeated Leigh Thomas Brown in the Republican primary, while Earle Schecter was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Schecter and Pittman will face off in the general election.
|North Carolina House of Representatives, District 82 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Larry G. Pittman Incumbent||62.2%||3,082|
|Leigh Thomas Brown||37.8%||1,871|
Thomas Brown is married and has two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Leigh + Thomas + Brown + North + Carolina + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Carolina House of Representatives
- North Carolina State Legislature
- North Carolina House of Representatives elections, 2014
- North Carolina House of Representatives District 82
- Official campaign website
- Leigh Thomas Brown on Facebook
- Leigh Thomas Brown on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, Official primary candidate list
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, Official general election candidate list
- Official campaign website, "About Me," accessed April 21, 2014
- Official campaign website, "Issues," accessed April 21, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Official Primary Election Results For 2014," accessed June 12, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "General Election Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed June 12, 2014
State of North Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utilities |