|Alaska House of Representatives District 23|
|January 24, 2013|
|Years in position||11|
|Per diem||$189 or $234/day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||Boston University, 1985|
|J.D.||Harvard Law School, 1988|
|Birthday||February 6, 1963|
|Place of birth||New York City, NY|
Gara is a freelance writer and owner of LG Writing and Research. He has previously worked as a Law Partner with Friedman, Rubin and White, and an Attorney with private and public practice.
Gara is a life member of the Alaska Flyfishers Association, and volunteers with the Alaskan AIDS Assistance Association, Amnesty International, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Brother Francis Shelter, and Camp Fire.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Gara has been appointed to these committees:
- Subcommittee on University of Alaska
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Gara served on these committees:
- Subcommittee on Education and Early Development
- Subcommittee on Environmental Conservation
- Select Committee on Legislative Ethics
Gara's answers to the Alaska State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test are available. The test provides voters with how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected. When asked his legislative priorities he replied:
"I will keep working form expanded pre-k education, because the studies show that it results in higher graduation rates, lower crime rates, and greater success for students. I will keep supporting increased university and job training financial aid so that income isn't a factor in whether someone can reach for success.I'll keep fighting for a stronger minimum wage; better renewable energy funding; good pensions for government workers; and universal access to quality medical care. I will also keep working to protect our access rights to Alaska's public lands, and our ability to enjoy Alaska's fishing, hunting and recreational areas."
- HB 45 - "An Act relating to certain investments of the Alaska permanent fund, the state's retirement systems, the State of Alaska Supplemental Annuity Plan, and the deferred compensation program for state employees in companies that do business in Sudan, and restricting those investments."
- HB 148 -"An Act relating to a state energy use reduction plan and energy efficiency improvement contracts and to energy audits of public buildings conducted by the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities;
- HB 237 - "An Act prohibiting certain per diem payments and delaying the payment of salaries to legislators based on the failure to adopt an education operating budget before March 1 of each fiscal year."
Gara ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Alaska House of Representatives District 18. He ran unopposed in the August 28, 2012, Democratic primary. The general election took place on November 6, 2012. Gara won in the general election.
|Alaska House of Representatives, District 18, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Les S. Gara Incumbent||72.2%||4,356|
|Republican||Cris A. Eichenlaub||27.4%||1,654|
|Alaska House of Representatives District 23|
|Les Gara (D)||4,952|
In 2010, Gara raised $33,020 in contributions. 
His five largest contributors were:
|Alaska State Employees Association Local 52||$2,000|
|Alaska Public Employees Association||$2,000|
|Operating Engineers Local 302||$2,000|
|Alaska Laborers Local 341||$1,500|
In 2008 Gara raised $79,509 for his campaign fund. Five of his top contributors are listed below.
|Carpenters Local 1281||$2,000|
|AK State Employees Assoc Local 52||$2,000|
|Public Safety Employees Assoc||$1,500|
|Operating Engineers Local 302||$1,500|
|AK Public Employees Assoc||$1,500|
Gara has a wife, Kelly.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Les + Gara + Alaska + House"
- Alaska State Legislature - Representative Les Gara
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2004, 2002
- Alaska's Democratic Caucus - Les Gara profile
- Les Gara on Facebook
- Les Gara on Twitter
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Johansen
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Gara Issue Positions
- Alaska Legislature - Bills Sponsored/Co-Sponsored by Rep. Gara
- Alaska Division of Elections - August 28, 2012 Primary Candidate List
- Alaska Division of Elections, Official 2012 Primary Results
- Alaska Election Division "Election Results 2012" Accessed November 16, 2012
- August 24, 2010 primary results
- November 2, 2010 election results
- Alaska House of Representatives official election results
- Campaign funds
- 2010 contributions
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Alaska State House District 23
| Succeeded by|