Leslie School Board recall, Michigan, 2009
Both school board members were successfully recalled.
In February 2010, Deann Maynard and Michael Knauf were elected to fill the two seats made vacant by the November 2009 recall election.
Bill Myers was recalled.
Pat Fog was recalled.
Recall supporters argue that board members have been ignoring the community and should be held accountable. Specifically, residents are upset regarding a July board decision in which the board eliminated one part-time and eight full-time positions. Instead the district hired private companies. A decision, that school officials argue will save the district $150,000 to $165,000 annually.
Response to recall
"My first responsibility is to the students. We need to maintain the highest-quality education that we're capable of doing. That was a way for us to realize some cost savings without impacting education in the classroom," said Myers.
"These people have the right to do this - that doesn't mean I have to like it. I feel that we made the best decisions we could make with the money we had at hand to educate our children. If I'm recalled and Bill's recalled, I don't know that it's going to make any difference because the money is still not going to be there," said Fogg.
Supporters submitted 879 petition signatures to recall board member Bill Myers and 861 signatures to recall board member Pat Fogg. On August 6, 2009 the Ingham County Clerk's Office confirmed that enough valid signatures were submitted by recall supporters to place the recall on the ballot.
- Jackson Citizen Patriot,"Two Leslie School Board members face recall on Tuesday's ballot," October 29, 2009
- Jackson Citizen Patriot,"Leslie journalist seeks seat on Leslie City Council," October 11, 2009
- The Michigan Messenger,"Leslie school board members face recall vote in Nov.," August 7, 2009
- Ingham County,"November 3, 2009 election results," retrieved November 4, 2009
- Examiner,"Teachers’ union leads recall efforts of school board members," October 28, 2009
- Jackson City Patriot, "Deann Maynard and Michael Knauf win seats on Leslie School Board", February 23, 2010
- Lansing State Journal,"Leslie board members face recall," October 18, 2009