Difference between revisions of "Linda Holmes"
|Line 232:||Line 232:|
Revision as of 08:10, 7 November 2012
|Illinois State Senate District 42|
|2007 - Present|
|January 12, 2013|
|Years in position||8|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2008|
|Next general||November 6, 2012|
|Bachelor's||National College of Education (1984)|
|Date of birth||March 16, 1959|
|Place of birth||Chicago, Illinois|
|Profession||Co-Owner, Creative Carpentry Remodelers, Inc|
In addition to being a Senator, Holmes is the owner of her home building business.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Holmes has been appointed to these committees:
- Agriculture and Conservation Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate
- Gaming Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Labor Committee, Illinois State Senate, Vice Chair
- Local Government Committee, Illinois State Senate
- State Government & Veterans Affairs Committee, Illinois State Senate, Chair
- Subcommittee on Amendments (Local Government)
- Subcommittee on Annexation, Vice Chair
- Subcommittee on Public Safety
- Subcommittee on Special Issues (Labor), Vice Chair
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Holmes served on these committees:
- Agriculture and Conservation
- Consumer Protection Chairwoman
- Labor Vice-Chairwoman
- Local Government
Holmes's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Finances and jobs
- Excerpt: "Linda Holmes knows that we need to get Illinois' finances in order. She passed legislation that would update the state’s outdated financial reporting systems, which currently jeopardize Illinois' ability to receive much-needed federal funds and potentially hurt the state’s bond rating."
- Local Schools
- Excerpt: "She sponsored a bill that creates a farm-to-school database to facilitate the purchase of fresh produce and food products of schools and encourages school districts to buy locally-grown products. Senator Holmes has worked hard to improve education and supported important legislation, like Senate Bill 7, to become a law. This law reforms teacher hiring and tenure practices in order to ensure that good teachers stay in our classrooms and that they are not unfairly fired."
- Protecting Our Children
- Excerpt: "As State Senator, Linda sponsored a law to fight underage drinking and driving by taking away the driver's license of underage drinkers and requiring safety education classes to include information on the consequences of drinking and driving."
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "Linda believes that every person has a right to affordable and accessible health care. In Springfield she has voted to increase funding for prescription drug coverage and to include diseases like Autism and MS."
- Excerpt: "Linda has worked to ensure our brave service men and women are taken care of when they return from fighting overseas."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Holmes is running for re-election to the Illinois State Senate in District 42 in the 2012 election. Holmes was unopposed in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012. She will face Republican Peter Hurtado in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate, District 42 (2008)|
|Linda Holmes (D)||57,231|
|Terri Ann Wintermute (R)||47,567|
In 2008, Holmes collected $912,481 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to her campaign.
|Illinois Senate Democratic Fund||$267,171|
|Friends of Clayborne||$75,000|
|Illinois Education Association||$40,000|
|Illinois Federation of Teachers||$27,290|
|Associated Fire Fighters of Illinois||$21,500|
|Friends of Don Harmon||$21,000|
|Capitol Consulting Group||$20,000|
|Deep Blue Illinois||$20,000|
|Silverstein for Senator||$18,000|
|Friends of A. J. Wilhelmi||$11,000|
|Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 501||$11,000|
|Service Employees Local 880||$11,000|
|Illinois Farm Bureau||$11,000|
|Penn National Gaming||$10,000|
|Illinois Realtors Association||$7,160|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers Association||$6,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Linda + Holmes + Illinois + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Holmes represents Illinois Senate District 41. District 41 includes the Southwest Chicago suburbs of Aurora and Naperville.
Linda is married to Michael Holmes and reside in Aurora, Illinois.
- Sen. Holmes's website
- Biography from the Illinois General Assembly
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Sen. Holmes on State Surge
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- Linda Holmes, "Issues," accessed October 23, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois Senate election results for 2008
- Holmes Campaign Donors
- "Illinois Chamber of * Commerce Committee, Illinois State Senate, Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
|Illinois Senate District 42
| Succeeded by|