Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia House of Delegates District 77|
|1994 - Present|
|Years in position||20|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 3, 2009|
|Next general||November 8, 2011|
|Bachelor's||Pacific Western University|
|J.D.||Norfolk State University|
|Place of birth||South Norfolk, VA|
Spruill participated in an innovative experiment in the 2011 Virginia House that changed the way he does his business in the legislature. At age 64, and after 16 years in the House of Delegates, he was one of 15 House members to be issued a new iPad, rather than a traditional laptop computer. Spruill says that he used to duck out of sessions to get copies of the bills, and just tell his contacts to "give me a ...call on the phone." He is now using email, accessing copies of legislation on his iPad and texting on his phone. The success of the program is evident as Spruill explained: "Man, I love it...This iPad, you just zap-tap it." The goal of the program is to reduce the amount of paper the Delegates have to deal with in session.
- Privileges and Elections
- Constitutional Amendments Subcommittee
- Counties, Cities and Towns
- Subcommittee #2
- Health, Welfare and Institutions
- Subcommittee #1
- HB 2110 Early voting; any qualified voter may vote in person from 17-3 days before election, etc.
- HB 2112 Financial literacy education; school board to implement objectives in middle and high schools.
- HB 2113 Absentee voting; persons age 65 and older may vote absentee.
In 2009, Spruill was re-elected to the Virginia House of Delegates. 
|Virginia House of Delegates General Election, District 77 (2009)|
|Lionell Spruill (D)||12,108|
Delegate Spruill speaking on redistricting
The top 5 donors to Spruill's 2009 campaign:
|Thomas W. Minnick||$15,700|
|Virginia Dental Association||$3,000|
|Virginia Legislative Black Caucus||$2,500|
Spruill has four children.
- Virginia House of Delegates - Rep. Spruill
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions:2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2001, 1999
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Richmond Sunlight profile
- Stateline.org, "Virginia legislature launches iPad experiment," January 5, 2011
- Project Vote Smart - Delegate Spruill
- Bill Tracking - Legislation as Chief Patron
- Virginia State Board of Elections - November 2011 General Election Official Results
- Virginia House of Delegates 2009 General Election Results
- Follow the Money - 2009 Campaign Contributions
|Virginia House of Delegates District 77
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |