Littleton Public Schools elections (2013)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Littleton Public Schools
Arapahoe County, Colorado ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Colorado
Three seats on the school board for Littleton Public Schools were up for general election on November 5, 2013. Kelly Perez, Jack Reutzel and Carrie Warren-Gully defeated Dallas Jones and Robert Reichardt to win the three at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Littleton Public Schools, Colorado
Arapahoe County outperformed the rest of Colorado in terms of its average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2010. The median household income in Arapahoe County was $59,937 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Arapahoe County was 11.9% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 38.3% of Arapahoe County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado as a whole.
Method of board member selection
The Littleton Public School Board consists of five members, all of whom are elected at-large to four-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats were on the ballot in 2013, and two seats will be on the ballot in 2015.
Individuals interested in running for the board began circulating nominating petitions on August 7, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the 2013 general election was August 30, and the filing deadline to serve as a write-in candidate was September 3.
- Dallas Jones
- Graduate, University of Wyoming, Georgia Tech
- Stay-at-home dad
- Kelly Perez
- Graduate, Florida Atlantic University
- Small business owner
- Robert Reichardt
- Graduate, University of Maryland, Pardee RAND Graduate School
- Researcher and analyst
- Jack Reutzel
- Graduate, University of Pennsylvania, University of Denver
- Attorney, Denver law firm
- Carrie Warren-Gully
- Non-profit organization management professional
|Littleton Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Source: Arapahoe County, Colorado "2013 Coordinated Election," November 22, 2013|
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
What was at stake?
Three seats on the Littleton Public School Board were up for election. Current board members, Board President Bob Colwell, Board Treasurer Renée Howell and Board Assistant Secretary Sue Chandler finished their second four-year terms on the Board and could not run again due to term limits. As a result, all three members elected to the board were new.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Littleton Public Schools election in 2013:
|August 7, 2013||Last day for nominating petitions to be made available to candidates|
|August 30, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|September 3, 2013||Last day to file as a write-in candidate|
|October 15, 2013||Candidates must file first Fair Campaign Practices Act report detailing their contributions and expenditures|
|November 1, 2013||Candidates must file second Fair Campaign Practices Act report detailing their contributions and expenditures|
|November 5, 2013||General election|
|December 5, 2013||Candidates must file third Fair Campaign Practices Act report detailing their contributions and expenditures|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot with two statewide measures. Voters decided on a ballot measure dealing with excise taxes and sales taxes on marijuana sales in Colorado, which passed. They also voted to reject Amendment 66, which was an initiated constitutional amendment to raise the state's income tax in order to increase state funding for public school districts.
- Littleton Public Schools, Colorado
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Arapahoe County, Colorado ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Colorado
- United States Census Bureau, "Arapahoe County, Colorado," accessed October 4, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Total Registered Voters By Party Affiliation and Status," accessed October 4, 2013
- Littleton Public Schools, "2013 Board of Education Election," accessed October 31, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "2013 Election Calendar," accessed October 2, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate and Candidate Committee Detail," accessed December 19, 2013