Louisa Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- Louisa County Public Schools 2009-2010 and proposed 2010-2011 budgets, including federal, state, and local revenue information, are available.
- School board meeting schedule and agendas are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via a link to the Virginia Department of Education School Report Card. Accreditation status is also posted on the division website.
- Section K: School-Community Relations of the Louisa County School Board Policy Manual includes a Request for Public Records form and Section G: Personnel includes staff evaluation procedures.
- School Board finances are included in the Louisa County 2009 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- School board meeting minutes are not available.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Gregory V. Strickland, Chairman||Patrick Henry District||2nd||December 2013|
|Brian M. Huffman, Vice Chairman||Green Springs District||3rd||December 2013|
|Gail O. Proffitt||Mountain Road District||2nd||December 2013|
|Sherman T. Shifflett||Mineral District||2nd||December 2013|
|Stephen C. Harris||Cuckoo District||1st||December 2011|
|Billy A. Seay||Louisa District||1st||December 2011|
The current division superintendent is Deborah Pettit, Ed. D.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
The Louisa County Public Schools 2010-2011 proposed operating budget totals $56,008,857.00, a 2.75% increase from the previous year. The budget reflects $ 824,793.00 in local sources, $27,004,508.00 in county transfer funds, $2,526,585.00 in federal revenue, and $17,975,462.00 in commonwealth revenue.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Louisa County Public Schools as having a student population of 4,711 and 5 schools in the division.
Louisa County Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Jouett Elementary||Pre-K - 5||651||Yes|
|Louisa County High||9 - 12||1,471||Yes|
|Louisa County Middle||6 - 8||1,039||No|
|Thomas Jefferson Elementary||Pre-K - 5||816||Yes|
|Trevilians Elementary||Pre-K - 5||734||Yes|
- Louisa County Public Schools Official Website
- County of Louisa, Virginia Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Louisa County Public Schools’, School Board’s Proposed FY 2009-2010 Budget, June 30, 2010
- ‘Louisa County Public Schools’, BoardDocs, June 30, 2010
- ‘Louisa County Public Schools’, Central Office Administration, June 30, 2010
- ‘Louisa County Public Schools’, School Board, June 30, 2010
- ‘Louisa County Public Schools’, Parent, Student, and Community Information - Links and Documents, June 30, 2010
- ‘Louisa County Public Schools’, Fast Facts, June 30, 2010
- ‘Louisa County’, 2009 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, June 30, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Louisa County Public Schools, June 30, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010