Louisiana's 3rd Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
December 6, 2014
Charles Boustany Jr.
Charles Boustany Jr.
Cook Political Report: Solid R
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Safe R
Louisiana is one of three states to use a blanket primary, or top-two system, which allows all candidates to run and all voters to vote but only moves the top two vote-getters, regardless of party affiliation, to the general election. In Louisiana, the runoff general election on December 6, 2014, is only required if no candidate receives 50 percent or more of the primary vote. If the runoff election is not needed, the race is decided with the one election (acting as both the primary and the general election) on November 4, 2014.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Charles Boustany Jr. (R), who was first elected in 2004.
Louisiana's 3rd Congressional District encompasses southern Louisiana and stretches from the Texas border to Iberia and St. Martin parishes. Cameron, Calcasleu, Jeff Davis, acadis, Lafayette, St. Martin, St. Mary, Vermillion and Iberia parishes are included in this district.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
|U.S. House, Louisiana District 3 General Election Runoff, 2012|
|Republican||Charles Boustany Jr. Incumbent||60.9%||58,820|
|Source: Louisiana Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election".|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Louisiana's 3rd Congressional District, General Election, 2010|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Louisiana, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed August 7, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed August 7, 2014
- Fairvote, "FairVote Releases Projections for the 2014 Congressional Elections," accessed August 7, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Louisiana Redistricting Map "Map" accessed July 24, 2012
- Louisiana Elections and Voting, "Candidate list," accessed August 27, 2014
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed November 17, 2011