Louisiana's 5th Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
December 6, 2014
Louisiana has an open primary system, in which registered voters do not have to be members of a party to vote in that party's primary.
Heading into the election the incumbent is Rodney Alexander (R), who was first elected in 2002.
Alexander issued a statement on August 6, 2013, that he decided not to run for re-election in 2014. He cited gridlock in Congress as part of the reason for his decision. “Rather than producing tangible solutions to better this nation, partisan posturing has created a legislative standstill,” Alexander said in a statement. “Unfortunately, I do not foresee this environment to change anytime soon. I have decided not to seek re-election, so that another may put forth ideas on how to break through the gridlock and bring about positive change for our country."
Louisiana's 5th Congressional District includes the northeastern portion of the state. Morehouse, W Carroll, E Carroll, Madison, Tensas, Franklin, Richland, Ouachita, Lincoln, Jackson, Winn, La Salle, Catahoula, Concordia, Caldwell, Grant, Rapides, Avoyelles, St. Landry, W Feldana, E Feldana, St. Helenda, Washington and Tangipahoa parishes are included in the district.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
- Vance McAllister - Incumbent
- Ed Tarpley: Former Grant Parish District Attorney
- Henry Herford, Jr.
|U.S. House, Louisiana District 5 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Rodney Alexander Incumbent||77.8%||202,536|
|None||Clay Steven Grant||7.8%||20,194|
|Source: Louisiana Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House of Representatives, Louisiana's 5th Congressional District, General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Rodney Alexander Incumbent||78.6%||122,033|
|Independent||Tom Gibbs, Jr.||21.4%||33,279|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Louisiana, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Politico "GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander retiring" Accessed August 7, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- The News Star "U.S. Rep. Alexander won't run for re-election" Accessed August 7, 2013
- Louisiana Redistricting Map "Map" accessed July 24, 2012
- KALB, "Ed Tarpley, Former DA for Grant Parish, announce Congress bid," accessed April 12, 2014
- The New Orleans Advocate, "Both sides gear up to unseat McAllister," accessed April 12, 2014
- KNOE, "Tarpley announces intention to run for 5th District seat," accessed April 12, 2014
- NOLA.com, "Ed Tarpley to run for Vance McAllister's US House seat," accessed April 16, 2014
- Herford for Congress, "Home," accessed January 6, 2014
- The Town Talk, "Marksville's Rep. Johnson won't rule out 2014 run for Congress," accessed October 24, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010" Accessed November 17, 2011