Louisiana New Iberia Property Tax Exemption, Amendment 6 (2012)
|New Iberia Property Tax Exemption Amendment|
|Referred by:||Louisiana State Legislature|
If enacted, the measure would have authorized the city of New Iberia to grant contracts for the exemption of property annexed by the city. The measure was sent to the ballot during the 2012 state legislative session as HB 497.
- See also: 2012 ballot measure election results
|Louisiana Amendment 6 (2012)|
Official results via the Louisiana Secretary of State's website.
Text of measure
The official ballot text read as follows:
|“||Do you support an amendment to authorize the granting of ad valorem tax exemption contracts by the city of New Iberia for property annexed by the city after January 1, 2013?||”|
No formal support was identified.
No formal opposition was identified.
Media editorial positions
- The Advocate said, "This amendment would allow New Iberia officials to grant property tax exemptions to residents of annexed areas. Whatever the merits of such a policy, we don’t support the authorization of a change that would apply only to New Iberia."
Path to the ballot
The legislatively-referred constitutional amendment required a two-thirds vote from members of both houses of the Louisiana State Legislature to be placed on the statewide ballot.
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "2012 Proposed Constitutional Amendments," retrieved August 17, 2012
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Advocate,"Our Views: Our positions on ballot issues," November 4, 2012